cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2003 W22 with 105K. How many on your 8.1L Vortec W22?

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about durability of other 8.1L Vortec W22's since the big block GM engines are no longer available. It was promoted as a 200K mile powertrain and I am hoping that is the case as we have a lot more places to visit including another 10K trip to Alaska in 2019.
Have done regular PM and used full synthetic motor oil and Transynd synthetic transmission fluid in Allison 1000 and have not had any real issues with drive train.

So the question is, how is your 8.1L experience? How many miles and still going strong? Anyone made the 200K mark with no major issues?

Not interested in diesel feedback or V10 feedback. I know there should be some 500K diesels out there. I am just curious about 8.1L longevity and things to keep an eye out for.

Thanks, and safe travels out there.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]
10 REPLIES 10

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Traded our '04 w22 in 2012 with 105,000 on it. Had full expectation the engine would keep running for another 100k miles. Had performed every recommended maintenance from day 1. Traded because we wanted to upgrade the living accommodations beyond what was possible in a 2 slide coach.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
And after 105,000 miles and about 40% of those towing, still less than 1/2 qt. oil consumption every 1000 to 1500 miles. One concern is how long to expect a 15 year old engine water pump to last? Do you think it will go the 200K? Or at least a few more years?

Takenabreak
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had 137,000 miles on it when I traded it in 2016. Lifters were noisy in the morning on startup for 30 seconds or so ... but it was still running great. Like most, I had exhaust manifold bolts broken and repaired, donut gaskets replaced, spark plug wires replaced ... normal stuff. All said ... great chassis!
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (Workhorse)
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid (Toad)

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Well besides regular oil and filter changes, I too have put on a new AC compressor, plug wires, brake pads, and before we left for AK in 2013, I did replace all rubber hoses and fuel lines and the serpentine belt. Took all of the old rubber with me in a box just for my own supply of emergency parts just in case. I have not had manifold issues, but have had to replace donut gaskets between manifold and tail pipe a couple of times.

Thanks for the replies, but right now still looks like I am the mileage leader with the exception of the 494K mileage unit brought in for auction.

Escapade
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 W22 we bought new. It now has 75000 miles on it. Had to replace spark plug and wires at 43000 after over heating (My fault). Just returned this week from short trip and it purrs down the highway.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a transport driver and I didn't bring this coach in but one of our drivers did last Tuesday to the auction yard. It's registered as an 04 Fleetwood Bounder but the chassis is an 03 Workhorse with 493K miles on it. Yes 493K, I had to go look for myself as I thought for sure he meant he had brought in a diesel. Nope gas. He said it drove just fine and handled well. Now as far as the interior of the rig, well that for sure needs some attention. Actually I'm still shaking my head.
The wife and I actually own an 04 Newmar on a Workhorse chassis with only 42K on it, so I guess we still have a lot of life left in it. lolol
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
90,000 miles since new in 2004.

I've replaced exhaust manifolds, air conditioning compressor, brake rotors and pads, plugs and wires.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has about 55K and doing well. I do all my own servicing very regularly and expect to make it to 200K with few problems.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

Bruce_Brown
My level of concern would be 0. Enjoy your trip.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with any engine, regular maintenance is the key to longevity. My 8.1L is approaching 95,000 with no problems. I do keep a ScanGauge hooked up to monitor the engine parameters as I drive. Mine is coupled to the Allison transmission that also needs regular care to keep it performing well. I see no issues with my combination going another 100,000 miles if I keep an eye on things.