cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shorter 5th Wheels

Leo_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
After 3 years with a 28' TT for week long vacations, my wife and I are looking at a shorter 5th wheel for an upcoming 12-18 month road trip around the country. We would like to keep the trailer under 32' so we can fit into state and national park campgrounds. So far our short list the Arctic Fox 27 5L, Arctic Fox 28 5C, and the Glacier Peak F26 RKS. With the other brands we have looked at (Cougar, Montana) it appears that their shortest models start in the 35' range and go up to 41'. We are looking for a well-constructed unit (no "lite" models). Will be purchasing a 1 ton diesel/single rear wheel for towing. Any recommendations for brands and models that would meet our criteria?
21 REPLIES 21

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer

This boon docking site was made for the 27-5L with a tree fitting in between slides.....I had some good guidance from son and DIL!
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon_R wrote:
I'm a new owner of an Arctic Fox 27-5L. I'm so far, very impressed with the construction quality. In addition, it tows much better then my last 5er (Cardinal 32 CKT). It has everything that we wanted. Only thing it lacks is a coffee table. That's easy to fix. We took a very short trip with it and I tested all the systems a couple of times. No complaints!

Glad to hear it. It's my choice too and going to a dealer in 2 weeks to check it out.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
We've been traveling extensively for 15 years and are just starting to look at a newer RV to replace our 2002 36.5 ft Keystone Montana. It has an upstairs living room that just doesn't work for us anymore. Until you start losing mobility, you don't realize how many trips you make between the LR and kitchen every day. We've thought about going to a Class A MH but love our 2004 1/2 Dodge Laramie Cummins 3500 (quiet, comfortable and 20 MPG towing) so will stick to a 5th wheels power.

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Cougar 246 RLSWE 5th Wheel it is 30 foot 8 inches
They claim 1/2 ton towable
Do not know if that is possible.
I tow it with a 350 one ton ford 6.7 D truck sure does not have to work hard with this camper , have to look in mirror just to make sure it is there LOL

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
RollandB wrote:
Gordon_R wrote:
I'm a new owner of an Arctic Fox 27-5L. I'm so far, very impressed with the construction quality. In addition, it tows much better then my last 5er (Cardinal 32 CKT). It has everything that we wanted. Only thing it lacks is a coffee table. That's easy to fix. We took a very short trip with it and I tested all the systems a couple of times. No complaints!

Weโ€™ve had 27-5L for nearly 3 years and recently put in it a storage ottoman similar to this one except a dark color....https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/alcott-hill-oakford-upholstered-storage-bench-acot4182.html

We found it at our local Fred Meyers a few years ago for less than $75. The added storage is nice, we move it in front of the fridge which door clears when the slide is in.

Yup. Already changed a couple things. Added a Blu-Ray DVD player, 29" Vizio sound bar and magnetic door stops. :0
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon_R wrote:

Weโ€™ve had 27-5L for nearly 3 years and recently put in it a storage ottoman similar to this one except a dark color....https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/alcott-hill-oakford-upholstered-storage-bench-acot4182.html

We found it at our local Fred Meyers a few years ago for less than $75. The added storage is nice, we move it in front of the fridge which door clears when the slide is in.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Artic Fox is in a class by themselves in the shorter fifth wheel category. I doubt youโ€™ll find a better built unit.

Grand Design USE to be a good build but the QC has dropped off significantly especially in the last two years. It might be due to the tremendous increase in sales all manufacturers are experiencing and they canโ€™t keep up and it may be due to a drop in QC after they sold out to Winnebago and now are answering to another master. In any event GD is not the same company it was just 2 years ago.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that model number on the side is no indication of length. My
27.5 Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel is 31 feet long according to the title. Not sure why the industry does this but they all seem to mislead you somewhat.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
rvnutts wrote:
We just purchased a 2013 Heartland Big Country. The retired couple that owned it kept it in their storage building and it looks brand new! We couldn't be happier with our find! It is 33 feet long and I believe Big Country is rated for full time. We are also planning our first big trip in September. I think the new Big Country starts at 35 feet though. Hope you find what you need!

My 2011 Big Country 3250 TS is 32.5 feet long and we took it across the country and up to Alaska and back down to Ohio then down to Fl......plus a trip up to NYC and never had a problem with sites.....

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Fox mountain from Northwood is well made. It's a little heavy for the 1/2 ton, but no problem for that truck you're planning to buy.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Reflection 28bh. 33'10". It has two double bunks in the rear. Kitchen and fridge are accessible when main slide is closed. Decent tank capacity. And it has auto-levelling.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Leo Smith wrote:
After 3 years with a 28' TT for week long vacations, my wife and I are looking at a shorter 5th wheel for an upcoming 12-18 month road trip around the country. We would like to keep the trailer under 32' so we can fit into state and national park campgrounds. So far our short list the Arctic Fox 27 5L, Arctic Fox 28 5C, and the Glacier Peak F26 RKS. With the other brands we have looked at (Cougar, Montana) it appears that their shortest models start in the 35' range and go up to 41'. We are looking for a well-constructed unit (no "lite" models). Will be purchasing a 1 ton diesel/single rear wheel for towing. Any recommendations for brands and models that would meet our criteria?
Grand Design Reflection 303RLS. 33 feet long. One foot longer than you wanted but very nice rear living plan with opposing slides, TV directly across from 2 recliners, spacious pantry, nice appliances in 2018 models. Always gagged at fireplaces, but our first trip was in March and we went north. Used the fireplace and to my surprise, it put out enough heat to be comfortable without using the furnace during the day - or to break the chill in the morning.

2nd trip was to a Fl. state park - fit the site perfectly with room to spare.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Our Coachmen Chapparal Lite is 32ft. Also will fit in a 12 ft door. We are very pleased with this.
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX