Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: towing with 1/2 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> towing with 1/2 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jrwalw345

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be going to Colorado and have a 2010 F150, towing a 2014 jayco x23b. Just under 4000 lbs dry prolly figure 4700 loaded. I have hauled all over Missouri and it's your typical hills and it pulls very easy. I am wondering what peoples thoughts are towing into Colorado and into mountains. Some have said it's fine go slow, others have said don't do it. Any thoughts from people who have done it?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the truck is in good shape you have exactly zero to worry about with that weight of trailer.
Lived and worked in the CO mountains for 5 years and towed more than that with an 01 F150 and an 08 F150, both 5.4s. You have the 6 speed which is better.
Just be aware when you start running out of air, you may not be able to rip up the passes at 70 mph.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colorado is tall and it has plenty of windy roads, some of the toughest in the country. But you have a trailer that is a reasonable weight and a late model PU. Fuel injection really helps in the mountains.

I have towed stuff all over CO and WY and I think you will be fine, but some of the roads take some getting used it. Big drop offs with no guard rails are common. Some of the secondary roads are narrow and have truck traffic.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jrwalw345 wrote:

I will be going to Colorado and have a 2010 F150, towing a 2014 jayco x23b. Just under 4000 lbs dry prolly figure 4700 loaded. I have hauled all over Missouri and it's your typical hills and it pulls very easy. I am wondering what peoples thoughts are towing into Colorado and into mountains. Some have said it's fine go slow, others have said don't do it. Any thoughts from people who have done it?

as long as you have the 5.4, you should be ok.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

jrwalw345 wrote:

as long as you have the 5.4, you should be ok.

A 3.5 EcoBoost should do well, too. Non-turbo engines loose power at higher elevations and the turbo on the EcoBoost keeps them going strong as you climb.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

filrupmark

Richmond,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have no problem climbing mountains. Just be very careful on the long downhill runs. Some trailers tend to start swerving at higher speeds going downhill.

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've got plenty of truck for that trailer. My suggestion is to make sure you have plenty of BRAKING for that rig coming down the other side. Control your speed at the top. Downshift early to help control your speed. Don't ride your brakes, but give firm steady pressure to scrub speed ONLY WHEN NEEDED, then back off the brakes. Don't be afraid to let your RPM's rise on the way down, use that compression to help slow you down.

Enjoy the trip!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ll be fine! Enjoy your trip.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always use your tow haul {that is what it is there for} and you will be fine. I had a 2006 F-150 SCab with the 5.4 and towed a 5,600# {fully loaded} TT for 5 years all over the west for 5 years.

Properly inflated LT tires are always a good idea as well.

[emoticon]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend who is a retired RV salesman. That is what he did all his life. He towed a medium/large fiver with his F-250 for years before deciding to go out west. Driving through the Rocky Mountains, he went up a medium grade, crested the top, and went down a steep grade into the valley. When he tried to make it up the steep grade on the other side, the truck couldn't pull the fiver. He turned around to go back to find another route, and the truck couldn't pull the grade the other way either. He ended up having to trade his truck for a bigger truck to get his fiver out of the valley.

Moral of this story, don't use trust a marginal set-up.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> towing with 1/2 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS