Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: towing with 1/2 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> towing with 1/2 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I did some logging in Summit Co on the backside of Loveland Pass which is around 11,990 feet. Our log loaded took 45 minutes to make it up the grade from Dillon to the top of the pass. When it gets high and steep try a lower gear. Be careful going downhill. I drove a 5 ton flat bed with a load of logs over Berthoud Pass in a blizzard once but do not want to try that again.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to do it with a half ton Chevy towing much more weight; 25 ft. 5th wheel. When in doubt, consult the manual for towing capacity.

Jayco-noslide

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You loss about 3% of your power for every 1,000 feet of altitude so at 10,000 feet you've lost 30% of your engine power. What was a piece of cake to tow at sea level is going to be a struggle for a regularly aspirating engine at 10,000 feet. Add summer heat to that and the power loss increases.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

I have a friend who is a retired RV salesman. That is what he did all his life. He towed a medium/large fiver with his F-250 for years before deciding to go out west. Driving through the Rocky Mountains, he went up a medium grade, crested the top, and went down a steep grade into the valley. When he tried to make it up the steep grade on the other side, the truck couldn't pull the fiver. He turned around to go back to find another route, and the truck couldn't pull the grade the other way either. He ended up having to trade his truck for a bigger truck to get his fiver out of the valley.

Moral of this story, don't use trust a marginal set-up.

What?? Not even in 1st gear? Hard to believe.

A 4wd would have been beneficial in such a case. Shift into low range, first gear... plenty of slow speed power to the wheels.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

I have a friend who is a retired RV salesman. That is what he did all his life. He towed a medium/large fiver with his F-250 for years before deciding to go out west. Driving through the Rocky Mountains, he went up a medium grade, crested the top, and went down a steep grade into the valley. When he tried to make it up the steep grade on the other side, the truck couldn't pull the fiver. He turned around to go back to find another route, and the truck couldn't pull the grade the other way either. He ended up having to trade his truck for a bigger truck to get his fiver out of the valley.

What?? Not even in 1st gear? Hard to believe.

A 4wd would have been beneficial in such a case. Shift into low range, first gear... plenty of slow speed power to the wheels.

It is what he told me. He wasn't bragging.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My older 2001 F150 has pulled 7500# over the Rockies a couple times and will again next summer. (4.10 gears)
No worries, no fear.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

For a few hundred $$ a new ring gear would have gotten him over that hill with no worry.
I think he just wanted a new truck.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't win any speed races going both up and down, but you should be fine. As someone else mentioned, going down is the harder part in a smaller truck.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similar set up in Idaho. You'll be fine. Just use your gears, and take the downhills slow.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT weighs about 6,000 lbs loaded to travel and we have a few camping areas we go that are 8,000' to 10,000' in elevation.

I use tow/haul and downshift manually to 2nd gear in some cases. But I'm always able to get to 45-50 MPH where conditions allow. I used to ride motorcycles so high RPMs don't bother me.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> towing with 1/2 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS