cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help for Ford Chassis

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My cousin is stranded. She has a 2007 Forrest River George Town on a 2006 Ford F53 chassis. The fuel line cracked and she has it at a Ford dealer in Story City Iowa. They did a search and found that there were only 2 in the US. They ordered 1 and it came damaged so they ordered the other one and it came damaged also. I can not believe there are no more of these parts available! The part number is 5U9Z 9A322EA. She has had this motorhome since new and has less than 20,000 miles on it, Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Ed
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
23 REPLIES 23

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
I am pretty sure it is a Ford chassis part. I think it was flexible on both ends to allow for ease of hook up and
absorb some vibrations. Probably had to have some flex to it. The 2 damaged fuel lines came directly from Ford.

Not your first Rodeo is it. Not only for flex, but it was probably "old stock" and not really designed for todays gas formula.
Wildmanbaker

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure it is a Ford chassis part. I think it was flexible on both ends to allow for ease of hook up and
absorb some vibrations. Probably had to have some flex to it. The 2 damaged fuel lines came directly from Ford.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Oh by the way the leak was on a rubber line that was crimped onto the long steel line. It was soft rubber hose that was reinforced with a plastic type of mesh. It didn't look strong enough to hold 60 lbs. of fuel pressure. It looked like it was designed to fail to me!

Thanks to all that tried to help!!!
Was that something the RV builder did vs a Ford issue? Why would Ford extend a metal line with a short section of rubber hose?

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Stim wrote:
Dealer is probably having to go by the book because of the half dozen TV lawyers waiting.
This way if it blows up, rolls down a hill and kills 3-4 hundred people dealer can say it was modified by customer!
Not a Ford problem?? That's a leap.

You are probably correct however I have never had a problem getting parts for my 2001 Workhorse chassis yet and have never been stranded for 2 weeks looking for parts that are unavailable. I am sure the dealer was afraid to modify a fuel line because of liability issues.
I do think it was a Ford problem 2 fuel lines in the entire USA (both damaged)doesn't sound like good support for their product to me. I do understand that Ford is the only maker of a gasoline powered chassis.

OOPS, I meant to quote Bruce Browns post. Sorry about that Stim. I was going to delete my whole post but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Don't worry about you post. I believe we have all been there one time or another. Just enjoy you RVs.
Wildmanbaker

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:
Dealer is probably having to go by the book because of the half dozen TV lawyers waiting.
This way if it blows up, rolls down a hill and kills 3-4 hundred people dealer can say it was modified by customer!

You are probably correct however I have never had a problem getting parts for my 2001 Workhorse chassis yet and have never been stranded for 2 weeks looking for parts that are unavailable. I am sure the dealer was afraid to modify a fuel line because of liability issues.
I do think it was a Ford problem 2 fuel lines in the entire USA (both damaged)doesn't sound like good support for their product to me. I do understand that Ford is the only maker of a gasoline powered chassis.

OOPS, I meant to quote Bruce Browns post. Sorry about that Stim. I was going to delete my whole post but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Stim
Explorer
Explorer

Bruce_Brown
Agreed. As said before, obviously it was a dealer problem far more than a Ford problem. Ford still offered the part, there just happened to be a shipping and inventory problem. The fact that it was fixed in 15 minutes does not surprise me, and speaks volumes for where she was at. Obviously it was a quick, easy fix when put in the hands of a competent person.

As far as the OP dumping his Lincoln because of this, ummm, ok. Before he does that he might want to see how well GM supports their RV chassis. Oh wait, they got out of that business. How about Workhorse? Nope, they too got out of the RV chassis business. So did Dodge, Oshkosh, and everyone else.

If you're buying a new Class A motorhome you only have one choice, Ford.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a fuel line, tubing cutter and clamps in my tool box.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised the shop didn't just cut out the failed rubber section and replace it with a length of standard high pressure fuel hose. I've done similar repairs laying under a coach in a parking lot.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
OK, she is back on the road and headed home. All links and phone calls were a bust. My nephew who is a very smart guy figured out how to fix it after I pulled a car trailer 40 miles to the dealership and then another 30 miles to my nephews home (had to have a long trailer to haul a 19 foot long gas line). He fixed it in about 15 minutes, not many I know would have had the knowledge or parts to do it. I sure didn't and obviously the mechanic didn't either. It took about 2 hours for them to put the fuel line back on. They tried to charge the full price for the damaged line that my nephew fixed but my cousin objected and they only charged her $10 for the $69 line. I didn't ask her what the labor was but know they charge $100 per hour. I still can't believe that Ford doesn't support high priced vehicles with parts better than that. I am not impressed with Ford Motor Company and I have a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Makes Me wonder if I should dump it! I have a '99 Jeep that I have never had any problems getting parts (it hasn't needed many parts}. I guess my rant is over. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Oh by the way the leak was on a rubber line that was crimped onto the long steel line. It was soft rubber hose that was reinforced with a plastic type of mesh. It didn't look strong enough to hold 60 lbs. of fuel pressure. It looked like it was designed to fail to me!

Thanks to all that tried to help!!!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Wonder how a fuel line manages to crack.

Actually fuel lines often crack if they are steel or aluminum, usually from vibration if a clamp or bracket comes loose or is missing. Last year a friend had one crack on a late model ISL diesel.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how a fuel line manages to crack.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Ford dealers just replace part for part, any good shop should be able to make a new line(s) up even if it plastic, they make all the ends and joiner fittings and are easy to work with ...

Bruce_Brown
Good luck. It sounds to me to be more of a dealer problem than a parts problem. It's a fuel line, not a replacement limb. Like any other plumbing project, there is more than one way to do the job, they just might need to be a little creative.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910