cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window awning install on 2018 Class A

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
After some brutal heat the last trip out, we decided we needed a window awning on driver side window. Got a perfect match from Shade Pro. Getting ready to install tomorrow and after reading instructions , it say to make sure you screw in to the structure. I am positive I will not hit structure with most of the 18 rail mounting screws.
They said if you don't hit, use molly rivets. Have any one installed with just screws into the fibreglass? I watch a couple of you tube video and they just screwed into fiberglass,.

What did you folks do with your install.

Thanks for info in advance
jfskeet
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad
7 REPLIES 7

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update...
Gary

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you also put a good bead of caulk under the awning strip where the screws go in and then caulked over the screw heads to ensure no water leakage, the caulk will help hold everything in place for years to come.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
Well , I finished install of window awning last weekend. After talking to tech at dealer, decided to go with the screw method . It had 18 truss head screws in the mounting strip. The shell was fairly thick fiberglass with a thin metal backing. All screws gripped well. Worst part was attaching arm supports as controls for the Spyder controls were in back of arm location. But all went well, took about 90 minutes start to finish.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I just took off 3 window awnings from my 95 Bounder. They went on in 1997 and stayed secure. All the screws on the arms were stripped and weren't holding any thing. BUT......the installer used clear house calking on the plastic ends that required a lot of effort, with a putty knife, to pry lose from the fiberglass.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if Well Nuts would work for you?

Gary

jfskeet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the idea, but no way I would thru bolt to the interior.

Never saw a factory window awning thru bolted.
Jeff & Kathy
2018 Tiffin 34PA
Honda CRV Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you can get even a couple of the fasteners all the way through the wall and secured with a fender washer and nut, it will be very secure. Any chance you could hide the fasteners behind a curtain or valance or even inside a cabinet?