cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading rear shocks

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thru the advice by many, I'd like to up grade the rear shocks on our new steed. Brand that comes up the most is Bilstein. However, they don't offer as of yet a rear shock for the '17 and up Forde duallies. Did Ford change the rear ends that much going from '16 to '17 that old offerings won't work? Suggestions.

TIA.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
11 REPLIES 11

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had Gabrial Ultra shock on 2 trucks now and was happy with the ride. They were a larger diameter than the stock shocks.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Did all 4 with KYB monomax 15 years ago, still going strong.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I got Rancho adjustables which have worked very well improving the ride. Many on the Ford diesel website have also changed to these and haven't seen any complaints.

Front: 999042
Rear: 999047A

The Rancho website will tell you the rear's aren't for your truck but they are a perfect fit. I think these are listed for the 16's and below but from what I've read Ford did not change the shocks with the 17 models. For some reason Rancho has not updated their website. I set mine at 4 for empty and 7 for towing. I highly recommend them. A little more pricey but worth it. I also recommend changing all four.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
Dont skimp out... Do all 4 corners

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
If Bilsteins aren't "tested" yet for the rear, is it best to hold off until they do a proper test?

See my follow up post on 1st real tow.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Dont skimp out... Do all 4 corners
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put Bilsteins all around my truck and it improved the the bounce a lot when crossing bridges etc. I was a little disappointed at the start, but then I backed my W.D. bars down one link and the bounce almost went away completely. Happy now
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
kYB and Bilstein both appear to be behind in the development of shocks for the new redesign Super Duty. Bilstein only shows front shocks and KYB doesn’t even have a listing for the F-350 that I could find. I don’t like the factory shocks on my 250 but I’m not shelli out $85 for one Bilstein front shock.

That's what Bilstein told me about not having tested their shocks on the '17's and up hence nothing listed for them. Was hoping either them or someone here could've said something different.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iraqvet05 wrote:
kYB and Bilstein both appear to be behind in the development of shocks for the new redesign Super Duty. Bilstein only shows front shocks and KYB doesn’t even have a listing for the F-350 that I could find. I don’t like the factory shocks on my 250 but I’m not shelli out $85 for one Bilstein front shock.

You should be able to do better than $85 ea, mid $70’s should be doable, lifetime warranty!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I've had luck with installing KYB Mono Max HD shocks on my 2500.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo