cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New King antenna; old TV

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing an old antenna on an old motorhome (2002). The TV's are not digital, but of course the antenna is.

Does an old TV work with the new digital antennas?

Do i have to keep the old VHS player to switch the channels?

I hate to have replace a built in 80 pound monster TV!...I ain't 45 years old anymore!
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
13 REPLIES 13

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
First let me explain the difference between a new DIGITAL antenna and an old ANALOG antenna... THE PRICE.. There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

THe King is also not as good as the Wineguard Sensar line. IN case that is what you replaced.

Your Old Analog TV will work with tne new antenna exactly as it worked with the old.. NOT AT ALL. unless you are in one of the rare areas where there is still an analog station (not many remain)

YOu will need a digital to analog converter. I can not recommend one as I have 4 different ones and they all work much the same.

If you read his post, he already has a converter and his TV's are working just fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First let me explain the difference between a new DIGITAL antenna and an old ANALOG antenna... THE PRICE.. There is no such thing as a "Digital" antenna.

THe King is also not as good as the Wineguard Sensar line. IN case that is what you replaced.

Your Old Analog TV will work with tne new antenna exactly as it worked with the old.. NOT AT ALL. unless you are in one of the rare areas where there is still an analog station (not many remain)

YOu will need a digital to analog converter. I can not recommend one as I have 4 different ones and they all work much the same.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I got it taken care of> New King Jack antenna. Old VCR removed, old TV still there for now. There already was a digital converter box connected to TV so all issues taken care ofand signal is good. I will replace the TV sometime.
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You will be able to view all of the local broadcast channels that are required to be sent over the wire UNSCRAMBLED !
Most cable companies are scrambling all their channels now. So, yes you most likely would need a set-top box.

Most TVs have a QAM tuner, but not all.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Just to "pick a nit", what every one is calling an "analog" TV should be called a TV with NTSC (National Television System Committee) tuner. Newer TVs have a ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) tuner you receive. Newer TV also have a second tuner, QAM (Quadrature amplitude modulation) to receive digital cable channels.

Yes, that is right. You do NOT need a "set top box" DVR to receive a digital signal from your cable company. They tell you that one is required, but it is only required because the "scramble" the signal they put on the wire. You can prove that by hooking your TV directly up to the cable and rescan for channels. You will be able to view all of the local broadcast channels that are required to be sent over the wire UNSCRAMBLED !

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom n Jackie wrote:
I am replacing an old antenna on an old motorhome (2002). The TV's are not digital, but of course the antenna is.

I hate to have replace a built in 80 pound monster TV!...I ain't 45 years old anymore!

Unfortunately, your old VHS does not have a digital TV tuner either so neither device will be able to to receive the new digital broadcast. As mentioned, the "old" antenna might have been better than your new one if it was one of the "Batwing" style antennas. What you can do, rather than replace the TV's (or until you do) is buy a Digital to Analog converter. This converter DOES have a digital tuner and it will convert it to a signal that can be utilized by your old TV's.
https://www.amazon.com/Zinwell-ZAT-970A-Digital-Converter-Antenna/dp/B001DVZXC0/ref=sr_1_8?s=electro...
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find a couple of youngsters to take that monster out and can it!! It it is analog only, probably< it WILL NOT pick up any signal, whatever the antenna. However if you VCR does, that is great! You can probably get a bigger, and absolutely better picture on a new Flat-screen, and in most cases, mounting is very simple.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tom n Jackie wrote:
The downside is you have to watch it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Tom n Jackie wrote:

despite what the TV infomercials preach there ain't no such thing as a digital TV antenna. any TV antenna will work just as well on any TV..analog or digital. what you might want to replace, however, is the short run of coax cable between the antenna and roof connector. coax degrades when exposed to the sun and elements after a few years and, if not attached properly, water will invade the connector. either will degrade reception.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bite the bullit and get a new TV. Much better money spent than on a new antenna for a boat anchor of a TV. Iโ€™m sure somewhere out there near you you can find a warm body to help you move out the old TV.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Tom n Jackie wrote:
The TV's are not digital, but of course the antenna is.

Really? :R As Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that!" :W

BTW, you may regret buying that King TV Jack antenna as it's not very effective at all in the VHF band where many stations (1000+ IIRC) are being forced back to under spectrum reallocation. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
A digital antenna is a name to sell antennas and they work on all TVs. But here is the rub, if you don't have a digital TV you won't be able to receive any stations. I would first get a digital TV then see how that old antenna works first. Or you could track down a digital converter and hook it between the antenna and your old TV. If your VCR picks up digital signals you have it made.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
No such thing as a digital antenna.(they all pull in the same uhf/vhf channels unless they are a dedicated uhf or vhf antenna) If you have an analog tv and are using the vcr as the tuner to change channels you will continue to have to do that until you buy a tv that has a digital tuner.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand