cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Ultimate #2 or just the Ultimate

Nato556
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 6"4" bed with factory puck system, So I'm able to use either version of the Andersen Hitch. The Ultimate 2 is aluminum, and connects to the gooseneck ball and the frame sits on the bed and gets tighten down against the truck bed . The Ultimate (steel construction) connects to a rail system that uses the 4 outer pucks of the 5 puck system in the truck. Can anyone tell me if either is the best way to go. I've heard the Ultimate 2 can sometimes dent the truck bed in some extreme cases. Thanks to all!
12 REPLIES 12

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I was in a campground this summer close to a person with a 2017 Ram 4WD short bed and newer Montana High Country with the AUH with gooseneck ball mount. With the Andersen adapter facing rear his pin box bit some chunks out of his tailgate. He reversed the adapter and proceeded to take out his rear window. He did tow with it happily for many thousands of miles but got caught in a situation with tight turn backing combined with a driveway. Not trying to discourage but be observant with the hitch.

To be fair, you can do both of those with any hitch. And both of those issues were not paying attention. First was not paying attention in setup. Second was not paying attention while driving. While the Anderson isn't perfect, I thinks it's the best hitch for me because I often take mine out. I can do this myself. I was injured once so I couldn't crawl into the bed. My 12 year old boy, with me standing there, did it all himself. And carried it to the garage. That's why I prefer the Andersen aluminum 2 with the gooseneck ball.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
I was in a campground this summer close to a person with a 2017 Ram 4WD short bed and newer Montana High Country with the AUH with gooseneck ball mount. With the Andersen adapter facing rear his pin box bit some chunks out of his tailgate. He reversed the adapter and proceeded to take out his rear window. He did tow with it happily for many thousands of miles but got caught in a situation with tight turn backing combined with a driveway. Not trying to discourage but be observant with the hitch.

YUP, it happens all the time.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just sold my Andersen steel ultimate, used with a turnover ball. The hitch worked well, no dents or problems in my 2016 Ram 6.4.
IF I was to buy another fifth wheel trailer, I'd consider a Companion instead of an Andersen. NOTHING wrong with the Andersen at all, but I think the Companion would be easier to hook up to and I wouldn't have to climb into the bed to affix the safety chains required in several states.
IMHO...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If I had to do it again and had pucks to start with I'd go with something like this.
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Reese/RP94623.html#exp-productdetails=.a...

Only need the GN ball in the bed.

Nato556
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally would go with a B&W "BUT" if I had to choose I would go with the picture frame puck adapter and steel ANDERSEN. Never heard of one of them denting the bed or folding!

But with that investment I would consider looking into the B&W puck slider!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the steel/pucks one also if I had the factory pucks. My truck didn't come with them, so I use the AUH2 with a B&W turnover ball. Very happy with the hitch.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
bluie5 wrote:
I have the steel version that pins in my rails in the bed. To me it just seems more secure being pinned in four spots instead of just one with the goose ball. I donโ€™t have to worry about dents or deflection of the bed floor. If I had the pucks Iโ€™d buy the adapter to pin the steel hitch in.

Seconded. I have the rail mount version as well and it's rock solid.

"Thirded." We used the steel, rail-mount version in our previous truck and it was great. I have read several reports (on multiple forums) of dented beds from the gooseneck ball mount version. I could still get the steel version in and out of the truck with one hand if I needed to the truck bed for something else.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make use of the pucks. If you want to use the Andersen, get the adapter for the pucks. A hitch that fits the pucks directly would be my choice. It would not cost much more, but would be heavier.

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
I have the steel version that pins in my rails in the bed. To me it just seems more secure being pinned in four spots instead of just one with the goose ball. I donโ€™t have to worry about dents or deflection of the bed floor. If I had the pucks Iโ€™d buy the adapter to pin the steel hitch in.

Seconded. I have the rail mount version as well and it's rock solid.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK