Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Andersen Ultimate #2 or just the Ultimate
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Andersen Ultimate #2 or just the Ultimate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Nato556

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 6"4" bed with factory puck system, So I'm able to use either version of the Andersen Hitch. The Ultimate 2 is aluminum, and connects to the gooseneck ball and the frame sits on the bed and gets tighten down against the truck bed . The Ultimate (steel construction) connects to a rail system that uses the 4 outer pucks of the 5 puck system in the truck. Can anyone tell me if either is the best way to go. I've heard the Ultimate 2 can sometimes dent the truck bed in some extreme cases. Thanks to all!

* This post was edited 07/03/18 04:33pm by Nato556 *

bluie5

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the steel version that pins in my rails in the bed. To me it just seems more secure being pinned in four spots instead of just one with the goose ball. I don’t have to worry about dents or deflection of the bed floor. If I had the pucks I’d buy the adapter to pin the steel hitch in.

2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluie5 wrote:

I have the steel version that pins in my rails in the bed. To me it just seems more secure being pinned in four spots instead of just one with the goose ball. I don’t have to worry about dents or deflection of the bed floor. If I had the pucks I’d buy the adapter to pin the steel hitch in.

Seconded. I have the rail mount version as well and it's rock solid.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/18 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make use of the pucks. If you want to use the Andersen, get the adapter for the pucks. A hitch that fits the pucks directly would be my choice. It would not cost much more, but would be heavier.

Jerry

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

bluie5 wrote:

Seconded. I have the rail mount version as well and it's rock solid.

"Thirded." We used the steel, rail-mount version in our previous truck and it was great. I have read several reports (on multiple forums) of dented beds from the gooseneck ball mount version. I could still get the steel version in and out of the truck with one hand if I needed to the truck bed for something else.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

slapshot12

FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with the steel/pucks one also if I had the factory pucks. My truck didn't come with them, so I use the AUH2 with a B&W turnover ball. Very happy with the hitch.

'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally would go with a B&W "BUT" if I had to choose I would go with the picture frame puck adapter and steel ANDERSEN. Never heard of one of them denting the bed or folding!

But with that investment I would consider looking into the B&W puck slider!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Nato556

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had to do it again and had pucks to start with I'd go with something like this.
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-F........html#exp-productdetails=.all-description

Only need the GN ball in the bed.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold my Andersen steel ultimate, used with a turnover ball. The hitch worked well, no dents or problems in my 2016 Ram 6.4.
IF I was to buy another fifth wheel trailer, I'd consider a Companion instead of an Andersen. NOTHING wrong with the Andersen at all, but I think the Companion would be easier to hook up to and I wouldn't have to climb into the bed to affix the safety chains required in several states.
IMHO...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Andersen Ultimate #2 or just the Ultimate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS