Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: RV park "camping"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> RV park "camping"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on a camping forum. It is mostly tent campers. I have to say that if you look at what they bring, you'll find they aren't camping much different than the rest of us.

They have battery setups and/or generators and/or solar to power lights, play music, watch movies, use a portable AC or heater. I have actually found that I, in my motorhome, have fewer conveniences than they do in their tents.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going off topic a bit but I do two kinds of tent camping, I do low impact wilderness canoeing (with rather short portages these days). [emoticon] I also do the other extreme which is voyageur reenactment from 1730's period, with replica tents, canoes and camp gear.

And yes rain can be a pain. However, we still do what we do when it is not raining; only we get wet. [emoticon]

Back on topic, as mentioned, the quest for convenience does not stop with tents, PUP, and such. However, one of the marks of a seasoned camper is over time, they leave at home things they formally could not live without.

So to some of the TT folks. While we started with full hook ups with cable TV, we migrated pretty quickly to electric only. We will even boonedocked for a day of two when it was necessary to visit more remote spots.

Except for those who like the nostalgia of Coleman lanterns, pumping up white gas cook stoves and steel Pepsi coolers. Many of the folk in the primitive campsite have switched to LED lanterns and lights, small propane bottle stoves and high efficiency Yeti coolers.

Progress is hard to define.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up doing mostly primitive dispersed camping, and that's what my wife and I did most of the time too as adults. Initially in a tent, then a tent camper and now a fifth wheel. Our youngest daughter, currently 3, is disabled and campgrounds tend to work better for her to get around so we do that most of the time now, albeit mostly non-hookup USFS campgrounds or partial hookup state parks. As she gets older I expect her to be able to get around easier so hopefully we can start sprinkling in more dispersed camping again.

We only use what I'd call an RV park for an overnight stop someplace or as a stand-in for a hotel. I don't consider it camping although I also don't think there's anything wrong with it - it serves a purpose.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

However, one of the marks of a seasoned camper is over time, they leave at home things they formally could not live without.

I have found it's more leaving at home things they found they are willing to do without. It varies between people - one person "must" bring a stereo system, another "must" bring a blender. Neither of those things are absolutely necessary, but they are not optional for some. Some even bring a portable clothes washer.

Same as folks with RVs- we all decide what we want to have with us and what we can do without. And everyone will have a slightly different list.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also going to add that on camping forums that are popular with tent campers, they don't question how others camp. I never see posts like these questioning if someone is "camping" or not - even about folks with RVs.

mckind

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, we're towing our conveniences with us but it is nice to wake up and drink my morning coffee in a different place, even if it is an RV resort. We're getting away from the rat race for a couple of days regardless of where we set up.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a thread like, the only comment that makes sense is to do whatever you like , and don't worry about other people.

* This post was edited 07/13/18 08:23am by ppine *

jimlj

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the replies. A few things I've learned.
Everyone has their idea of camping, RVing or traveling and some combine all which is fine with me. Something that I should have realized, but captain obvious had to point out is NOT EVERYONE LIVES 30 MILES FROM NATIONAL FOREST like I do. I can find a flat spot along the road to stop and camp, or can stay at forest service campgrounds that nave no hookups. This has been my perfered "camping" since I bought my first RV, and what Dad did when he towed home the '66 Shasta 52 years ago. I also live less than 5 miles from a state park with a dump station, and for a few bucks I can empty and clean the black and gray tanks about any time I want to. With my head burried in the sand (or up my back side as I'm sure a lot of you have thought) I used the "camping" I know to question yours.
Happy campingRVingtravlingwhateveryoucallit.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

When I was 20 years old and sitting by my tent, I derided the people who drove up either in a motorhome or towing a travel trailer. Now, at 63, I let the 20 year olds deride me, and don't give it a second thought.

Not 63 yet, but +1! I said I would never do that. Now I have a brand new 5er, after previous 5er and a couple TCs. I have learned to never say never.

Earlier this spring I was in the medical clinic, and the nurse asked about my weekend plans. I said I was going camping, and she asked where. I told her we were going to a nearby reservoir (that is surrounded by BLM land), with our 5er. She informed me "That is not camping!", and I replied, "You are right, I am going fishing in comfort." She got a good laugh out of that.

I do still enjoy motorcycle camping, with nothing but a tent, and a sleeping bag, but now I cheat and use a pad between me and the ground.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

Sillybugs2

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp mostly state of federal parks. Yes I like electric and water but go days with out at out fav place. We use our trailer as a bed and potty. Cook outside with our camping grill and stove from tent days or over fire. Use camp showers like tenters. Only use rv parks for a night to get somewhere.

2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> RV park "camping"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS