Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: RV park "camping"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> RV park "camping"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Samsonsworld

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimlj wrote:

NOT EVERYONE LIVES 30 MILES FROM NATIONAL FOREST

Got that right. If I want a decent place to camp in a national forest, I have to drive a 250 miles. If I can't stay 5+ nights, it generally isn't worth the time and gas to get there imo. And I think that can change your attitude about hookups. Dry camping for a weekend is one thing. Dry camping for a week is another story, especially with 4-5 people.

Arcamper

Fayetteville, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one definition I found that makes sense.

Camping describes a range of activities and approaches to outdoor accommodation. Survivalist campers set off with as little as possible to get by, whereas recreational vehicle travelers arrive equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture. Camping may be combined with hiking, as in backpacking, and is often enjoyed in conjunction with other outdoor activities such as canoeing, climbing, fishing, and hunting.

There is no universally held definition of what is and what is not camping. Fundamentally, it reflects a combination of intent and the nature of activities involved. A children's summer camp with dining hall meals and bunkhouse accommodations may have "camp" in its name but fails to reflect the spirit and form of "camping" as it is broadly understood. Similarly, a homeless person's lifestyle may involve many common camping activities, such as sleeping out and preparing meals over a fire, but fails to reflect the elective nature and pursuit of spirit rejuvenation that are integral aspect of camping. Likewise, cultures with itinerant lifestyles or lack of permanent dwellings cannot be said to be "camping", it is just their way of life.

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's, Joy Rider 2's and disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR Hauler
2014 Ford Expedition Limited with HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 ext cab PU
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading through this thread I looked up the definition of camping and what I found was at least to me a bit funny- the various dictionaries cant agree on what constitutes camping

Oxford Dictionary
the activity of spending a holiday living in a tent.

Cambridge dictionary
the act of staying and sleeping in an outside area for one or more days and nights, usually in a tent:

Wikipedia
Camping describes a range of activities and approaches to outdoor accommodation. Survivalist campers set off with as little as possible to get by, whereas recreational vehicle travelers arrive equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture. Camping may be combined with hiking, as in backpacking, and is often enjoyed in conjunction with other outdoor activities such as canoeing, climbing, fishing, and hunting.

There is no universally held definition of what is and what is not camping. Fundamentally, it reflects a combination of intent and the nature of activities involved. A children's summer camp with dining hall meals and bunkhouse accommodations may have "camp" in its name but fails to reflect the spirit and form of "camping" as it is broadly understood. Similarly, a homeless person's lifestyle may involve many common camping activities, such as sleeping out and preparing meals over a fire, but fails to reflect the elective nature and pursuit of spirit rejuvenation that are integral aspect of camping. Likewise, cultures with itinerant lifestyles or lack of permanent dwellings cannot be said to be "camping", it is just their way of life.

the list could go on and some in fact do mention trailers or motorhomes so it seems the scholarly type cant even define it much less us "campers". As much as I dislike Wikipedia in general in this case it seems to be the most comprehensive and inclusive definition I especially like the part about intent

Though the term Rv'ing seems to have a more or less single definition
- to live in or drive an RV

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the wikipedia definition is lacking with generalities. As a kid, I went to 4-H camp. We slept on wooden platforms in tents, the "dining hall" was a cement slab with a roof, we did standard camping fair: hiking, campfires, nature walks, etc. We did have a swimming pool (after they had to drain the swimming hole in the creek when a camper went missing, they built it). We did have electricity in select spots (dining hall, girls and boys camps, restrooms, and campfire round). So some "kids summer camps" do fit the idea of camping.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still tent camp...or...glamp. We have a SUV tent and sleep in the back of the Ranger on an air mattress that was designed to do so, so the whole bed is the bed. As long as the weather isn't to hot, but for anything over 2 or 3 days we take the C/O. It's more comfy than a tent and we can go for weeks in it. We can boondock for about 6 days till we run out of water and that's one of the "upgrades" in the plans for the S&S rebuild thread II.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly...R.I.P. Dixie/Hanna we miss you
1990 F350 S/C Dually
1990 S&S 11SC
06 Honda CR-V
11 Ford Ranger

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

We still tent camp...or...glamp. We have a SUV tent and sleep in the back of the Ranger on an air mattress that was designed to do so, so the whole bed is the bed. As long as the weather isn't to hot, but for anything over 2 or 3 days we take the C/O. It's more comfy than a tent and we can go for weeks in it. We can boondock for about 6 days till we run out of water and that's one of the "upgrades" in the plans for the S&S rebuild thread II.

S&S rebuild? At first I thought of Sticks and Bricks, but that would be S&B. Maybe Sticks and Stones? Some of the acronyms that people throw around are obvious and others leave even well-educated, informed people STH. It DRMTM if you want to use a lot of obscure acronyms, but it does TTFOORSR if you do so. SWIM?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look at their sig, the S&S is a trailer.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Actually it's a Cabover Camper.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Actually it's a Cabover Camper.

Oops. Should have just said it was your rig... [emoticon]

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I would still "camp" if the situation was worth the reward."

"Worth the reward." http://jeffhead.com/magruder/index.htm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> RV park "camping"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS