cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State/Private campgrounds near Glacier

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I'm possibly trying to change up my vacation plans for the next couple of weeks. We already have a week at Lewis & Clark Caverns and then were gonna drop down to Colorado for another week.

However, the campground we're scheduled at is closing the lake/swim area due to the drought & low water levels. I've been thinking about trying to stay another week closer to Montana or Idaho.

Was looking at Glacier,but it says that due to bear activity only hard sided campers are currently being allowed. We have a pop-up so that would be a big no-go for us.

Any places that might have last minute reservations that have electric/showers that won't be like camping in a parking lot. Ideally in the mountains with space between sites.

Would consider near Glacier, CdA

Thanks for all suggestions.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
15 REPLIES 15

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Kavoom wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
Well, I got 8 days booked at Glacier Campground. At least with me being there, it will give me an opportunity to check out the other campgrounds in the area to see if I can book the lat week there. I'd love to try to go into Canada, but wife and I are the only ones with passports.

Would a 17 & 8 YO be able to cross the border and get back with nothing other than a birth certificate and a state issued ID/DL for the older one?

NOPE, can't bring the kids without a passport or that special card thingy like a passport light for Canada... cheaper, faster to get I believe. Ask at your post office.

We were able to get my 8 yo son into Canada with just his birth certificate.

Older kid didn't go this year. Think camping has become uncool.

I see. Thank you. Everyone please IGNORE my posting. Things have loosened up from a few years ago apparently. I'm at the tail end of my passport and when I got it, things were a bit more stringent. You can take your kids in with birth certificates etc. Wikipedia has good info on all this with links to back up assertions.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:
Well, I got 8 days booked at Glacier Campground. At least with me being there, it will give me an opportunity to check out the other campgrounds in the area to see if I can book the lat week there. I'd love to try to go into Canada, but wife and I are the only ones with passports.

Would a 17 & 8 YO be able to cross the border and get back with nothing other than a birth certificate and a state issued ID/DL for the older one?

NOPE, can't bring the kids without a passport or that special card thingy like a passport light for Canada... cheaper, faster to get I believe. Ask at your post office.

We were able to get my 8 yo son into Canada with just his birth certificate.

Older kid didn't go this year. Think camping has become uncool.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Heading back to hot Texas as I speak. Stayed 5 nights at Glacier Campground and 10 days at Two Medicine campground within the park.lady at the Apgar visitor center recommended it, and she was 1000% right. Had a lakeside site and the breeze during the day to keep things cool, and at night it got downright chilly. One morning it got down to 37, and was consistently in the high 40's every night and the 70's during the day.

Words cannot express the awesomeness that Glacier is, it is something that truly has to be experienced 1st hand to be appreciated. It is a 1700 mile 3 day trip to get there from Texas, and we are already talking about going back again next year.

Glacier Campground was a very good commercial campground. It was $45 a night which was very reasonably priced. Sites were kinda tight in some areas of the park, but the owners were great, bathrooms and showers were cleaned on a regular basis and we would stay there again without a doubt.

Really, really hated to have to leave, but reality sets in eventually and the bills still need to be
paid. Overall, we collectively agree that it has been the best spot we've been to, but Topsail Hill in Destin has been the best for a beach vacation.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
We love Mountain Meadows in Hungry Horse west of the park - huge sites and well kept up

https://mountainmeadowrv.com/rv-sites/

I feel it is vastly under rated by Good Sam

I agree. This is our favorite but I know they are booked through the first week in September. But for the original poster, go check this one out. You can even fish in their pond for free or if you want to keep the fish pay by the inch.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Stay inside Glacier Nat'l Park for the best overall experience. Hard-sided RV only is only for Many Glacier campground and that's most likely a temporary thing. There are other. Apgar campground in the park doesn't accept reservations but you'd get a site there. We always did in our big rig. There are many tenters and popups there. Have a good trip.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/camping.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
fly-swatter wrote:
We use Spruce Park on the River in Kalispell. Nice quiet campground with lots of trees. We're going after the middle of August, looking forward to it.

x2. Stayed there last year. Had a nice river view site.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Y Lazy R in East Glacier. Pull through site with full hookups for $32/night.

The good: Low price, beautiful view, very quiet. In the little town of East Glacier, which I really like. Casual nice owner, you show up and your reserved site is listed on the door of the empty office. No cancellation fees.

The bad: No "amenities". There is a rather ratty shower house with pay showers. We didn't use it but it didn't look good. No shade (but not needed when we were there in June.) One side backs up to a street some might consider sketchy, but we had no issues at all.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We love Mountain Meadows in Hungry Horse west of the park - huge sites and well kept up

https://mountainmeadowrv.com/rv-sites/

I feel it is vastly under rated by Good Sam
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
We use Spruce Park on the River in Kalispell. Nice quiet campground with lots of trees. We're going after the middle of August, looking forward to it.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky Mtn Hi CG in Kalispell worked well for us.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
West Glacier KOA, or Columbia Falls RV Park.

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
The hard side restriction is for Many Glacier campground. The others are ok for soft sides.