Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Diesel Pusher category
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Diesel Pusher category

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

I believe most people just watch the "All" category.

Exactly what I do...

I do as well.

Yep, I click on 'Newest' and read whatever interests me.

If they split Class A into two catagories, shouldn't they do the same for Class B and C? They're made in gas and diesel.

It doesn't matter to me as long as my forum dues do not increase. [emoticon]

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, go for it. As most others do I read them all because you never know that you will learn.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Having owned both a gasser and a DP I would offer that other than the engine and the brakes they have pretty much the same class A issues and concerns. Maybe under the Tech Issues I could see a different category, but not sure I understand why under Class A.

Dave

Agreed - 100%.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And then divide them by chassis or maybe engine. Or maybe cheap ones and expensive ones, or maybe old ones and new ones. Some have a gas engine in the back. Some gas A's even have a tag axle.
I also read the newest so it wouldn't matter to me but I like them grouped together, many that have one may have had the other and could help someone with a question.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Having owned both a gasser and a DP I would offer that other than the engine and the brakes they have pretty much the same class A issues and concerns. Maybe under the Tech Issues I could see a different category, but not sure I understand why under Class A.

Dave

I have only owned a DP, and I can tell you from reading all the posts it seems the two have quite different issues.

Maybe it would help me to understand if you could give me a few examples where a Class A DP would have different issues than a Class A gasser (other than engine or brakes).

Dave

Well Dave,
There are actually quite a few differences in the two. About 99.99% of the gassers utilize a CONVERTER/CHARGER for most 12v operations including but, not limited to, charging of the house batteries. Where as about 99.9999% of the diesels out there utilize an INVERTER/CHARGER for the same application. And, that inverter is normally considerably larger than any inverter in most gassers, as supplied from the factory and, being it's a larger inverter, it will normally power up many more outlets than what most factory supplied smaller inverters in gas coaches. That's something that may, or may not be of importance to some.

Second, since it's a diesel engine, there are considerable difference in engine wiring and control factors. The frames of diesel coaches are normally heavier and, yes, that means the brakes are usually larger and more efficient and, also, the lower end diesels might have an EXHAUST BRAKE whereas the more upper end ones, might have a multi-stage COMPRESSION BRAKE.

Most gassers might have what's called a "Tow-haul" mode in the trans which alters the way the trans is shifted vs the amount of power needed and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling at the time.

Most generators in diesels are larger than the ones in gas units. And I was going to say that, for years, most gassers used a 30A service while most diesels used a 50A service but, that's kind-a changed in the last few years. I think in that respect, they're both pretty equal now.

The fact that about 99.9% of the diesels have the engine in the rear is pretty important to many folks due to the low levels of noise in the cab area for driving where as, the gas engine up front, does provide with more Dbs for a louder atmosphere for driving, especially during hill climbs.

A good quality, higher end gas coach, with the heavy duty chassis i.e. 22.5 wheels, can be fairly close to most of the qualities of a lower end diesel, of the same year and length.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Fire Up. So the Inverter/harger is different. I never noticed when I went from gas to diesel. Everything else you mentioned is engine and braking, which I already said were different. As I said earlier, I think those are tech issues, not Class A issues. I've had both and now I have a "diesel puller" and none of the Class A issues but I do miss my compression brake [emoticon].

Dave

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For whatever reason, I think I see your point. So I guess we should just put travel trailers and fifth wheels in one category. Pull behinds.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

Not that this is a "mine is different so it's better" thread, but at a minimum we could get DP on the drop down to better sort the the gassers from the DPs. Not much similar in the two.

WW

So a gas coach does not have (or only a DP has) -
1. 12VDC powered devices
2. Tires that need pressure set by weight
3. Roof leaks
4. Entry steps that fail
5. Propane distribution
6. Absorption fridge that never fail
7. Batteries of some type
8. Owners that boondock
9. Various state taxes
10. Residential fridge
11. TV RF Distribution systems
12. Satellite service
13. 30 or 50 amp AC power
14. Tires that need replacing
15. Televisions
16. Frameless windows
17. A potable water tank
18. Waste water tanks
19. The need for an aftermarket TPMS
20. A generator
21. Full body paint
22. Fiberglass roofs
23. Wheel simulators
24. Windshields that crack
25. Potential for delamination
26. A used vehicle market
27. A tow hitch
28. Propane/electric water heater
29. Roof mounted air conditioners
30. Propane forced air heating
31. Booth or freestanding dinetts
32. The need to winterize
33. Shower skylights
34. Door locks that break locking the owner in or out
35. Propane, CO and smoke detection alarms
36. AC power transfer switch
37. Poor fuel usage rate
38. Roof fans
39. A leveling or stabilizing system
and the list goes on,,,,

For what it's worth Class A's are a very small percentage of the total RV marketplace and DP ownership makes up well under half of group. Being that you all are in the minority at a minimum we could,,,

2006 Hurricane 31D

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I've been watching 'All' and did not even notice there were all of the other groups under Class A Motorhomes. My bad but it is good the way it is. Once you add DP you will need to put the others under it also.

03 Monaco 36PBD DP - 06 Malibu Maxx Toad (SOLD) 18 Focus Toad
08 Jayco Eagle 322FKS (SOLD)
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

I've been watching 'All' and did not even notice there were all of the other groups under Class A Motorhomes. My bad but it is good the way it is. Once you add DP you will need to put the others under it also.

The only advantage to having different categories is when you're searching for a topic in, say Upgrades, which no one does anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Diesel Pusher category
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS