Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Route 1 Through Maine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Route 1 Through Maine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back from Maine and bar harbor route 1 in that area is fine southern route is slow
Traffic is really tough everyone wants to go to vacationland

drenjoey

Gray, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What can I say......Vacationland is the place to be in the summer.

fwed

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On US Route 1 the first things you run into are a series of shopping malls and then you hit Ogunquit. Unless you are looking for something particular there, I'd avoid them both, or backtrack after dumping your rig for the night. Both are traffic nightmares. I'd stay on I-95 until Wells, and tgen oick up Route 1. Likewise Kennebunkport -- great town, but you're not going to get through there with a 40' anything on your tail. Route 1 doesn't go through K'port, so you could stay in the area and go down there in your 4-wheeler -- still slow but do-able. From there north, Route 1 isn't bad. Wiscasset is slow, but the street is wide. Camden is slow and narrow. These were all little fishing villages at one time. Like most of Maine, nothing is going to be quick.

After Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, Route 1A to Bangor then Route 2 to northern New Hampshire.

Enjoy our state -- just take your time.

Fwed.

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're gonna get off 95 in Sanford/Wells and then hit route 1 and go North from there. Wife's brother lives in Wells and may go visit him.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS Icom 7610 and Icom 7100
Steve and Joy
2012 Winnebago Tour 42JD . . . 2014 Lincoln MKX Toad
Cooper ... The Doodle, Yogi...The Yorkie, Cookie ... The Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017
Baby and Kissie the new Chihuahuas

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fwed wrote:

On US Route 1 the first things you run into are a series of shopping malls and then you hit Ogunquit. Unless you are looking for something particular there, I'd avoid them both, or backtrack after dumping your rig for the night. Both are traffic nightmares. I'd stay on I-95 until Wells, and tgen oick up Route 1. Likewise Kennebunkport -- great town, but you're not going to get through there with a 40' anything on your tail. Route 1 doesn't go through K'port, so you could stay in the area and go down there in your 4-wheeler -- still slow but do-able. From there north, Route 1 isn't bad. Wiscasset is slow, but the street is wide. Camden is slow and narrow. These were all little fishing villages at one time. Like most of Maine, nothing is going to be quick.

After Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, Route 1A to Bangor then Route 2 to northern New Hampshire.

Enjoy our state -- just take your time.

Fwed.

Well, in Ogunquit, if you know someone named Anne and want to annoy her, you can stop at Perkins Cove & pick up an Ugly Anne "T" shirt. Of course you will need to find a place to park, and spaces are rare! Last time I was there they had cops that forced you to drive out of the cove rather than looping around trying to find an empty space.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Route 1 Through Maine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS