cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-250 vs Ram 2500

Mi2bugz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying truck to tow TT. Starting with about 8800 loaded weight but want room for fifth wheel later on if we decide to upgrade. I'm considering 2016-2017 F-250 or 2500. I know a lot of opinions are preferences but I am looking for people's actual experience and any help with pro's and cons. I have asked someone that frequently tows 18000lbs. He made a couple statements I would like to confirm.

With these size trucks won't need a WDH for 8800 lbs.

In my research F-250 has sway control. He said at 8800lbs won't need sway control cause won't know TT even there (I've read about the salesmen that say that so want to verify it is really true...FYI....my friend isn't making any $ on my decision)

You recommend 4x4 or 4x2?

F-250 make sure to get 7.3 engine / 2500 make sure to get the Cummins engine

Short bed vs long bed for possible 5th wheel later

Any thing else I should consider?
28 REPLIES 28

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
A few comments.
I would definitely get a wdh with sway. The system built into the truck is for active sway control, i.e., it has already started. The hitch sway control attempts to start it from ever happening. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I would consider a 350/3500 truck if you plan on going to a fifth wheel.

I would get the brand you like the most. I have a Ram 1500(work), F150EB (primary) and Chev 2500/gas (farm) and on the farm, we have ram 1500/hemi 2500/hemi and 3500/cummins, chevy 2500/dmax and 1500/5.3. We get the best deal for what fits the needs at the time and they all work great.

I would prefer a diesel for towing. Yes for all the standard reasons, but one that gets overlooked is for filling up on the road. Hard to get in and out of interstate gas stations. Go to a truck stop however, and you will have a couple of acres to maneuver as long as your are getting diesel fuel.

best of luck
Joe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mi2bugz, yes either truck you're looking at will tow/haul the same load from a chassis standpoint. You need to research "book" capacities compared to real capacities.
Since you don't understand much mechanically speaking, know that the "book" ratings for payload and axles are typically the absolute most conservative ratings imaginable. And VERY under rated for 3/4 ton trucks.
Do you think the diesel actually has that much less capability for payload than the gasser? Engine is in front, payload goes in the back. They're almost mutually exclusive based on where the weight is in the truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wife takes the road that the garmin told her to take. I get the call at dusk she is stuck and VERY upset, I know the road it's two miles from camp. I have no way to get to her. I explain 4wd she tries, she says it won't move. Great, she has buried it! I explain 4 low she shoots right of the self induced hole.

Do I need 4wd??? THAT right there made it worth EVERY penny.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
b17drvr wrote:
Get a 4x4 for resale. Nobody wants a 2x2. The 17 and later fords are really nice with the new design.

Thats absolute silly. Anyone who attempts to haul a 10,000+ pound trailer over unpaved ground is simply asking for trouble.
A properly equipped 4x2 will have more load carrying capacity, get better fuel economy, have a lower step in height. Which a lot of folks, think vertically challanged or older, will appreciate. I started towing my fiver with a 4x4, after three years of not using it while towing swapped for a 4x2 dually. Towed 13 years with no problems what so ever. We took our 4x2 dually places a truck its size should not have gone with no problems.
Someone once said, "all 4x4 will do for 90% of people is get them deeper in trouble".
The OP needs to pick a tow vehicle thst will do the job he intends it to do.

Lol! There's an arse for every seat for sure. But you need to get out more. May surprise you that people doo more with trucks than hook their campers for a weekend jaunt to the RV park on the coast!
Heck I had to use 4wd last weekend, well maybe not, but I'm not the 90% you're hypothesizing about. Got to a steep gravel boat launch with 4000lbs in the bed and a 5000lb boat on a trailer and the boat was thirsty!
Figgered it would be more a sure thing than spinning out and the truck taking a drink too. And then there's stuff like snow or steep hills, and I wanna look cool ya know!
But aside from that, b17 is right, mostly. There are a "few" that want a 2wd, a few that benefit from a 2wd, some that have to settle for a 2wd, but most want or, gasp, even need a 4x4. And they do have better resale if that money thing is important to you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mi2bugz
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info! Doing more research lol. Long story short...we would like the following TT and an example of what we would like in a 5th wheel (if we decide to go up).

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-prime-time-rv-avenger-ati-27dbs-687190-29

https://www.exploreusa.com/product/new-2018-crossroads-rv-volante-3801md-781635-5

I'm concerned I'm making an error in my calculations. I calculated that the 2016 ram 2500 crew cab short box 4x2 hemi with a 4.10 axle ratio (max payload 3,610/max trailer 15,940) AND the Cummins diesel 3.42 axle (2690 lbs / 17,510) can each tow both the ones I listed above based on 13%?????

We haven't settled on ford/dodge or model yet. Just used that as an example to see if calculating correctly. Any suggestions on a good ford towing capacity chart that has max payload listed? The vin decoder I was using is a little confusing with the list of multiple weights for each line.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
b17drvr wrote:
Get a 4x4 for resale. Nobody wants a 2x2. The 17 and later fords are really nice with the new design.

Someone once said, "all 4x4 will do for 90% of people is get them deeper in trouble".

Or out of trouble for that matter, it had for me. It may be different around the country but I don't think you could give a 4x2 away around here.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
b17drvr wrote:

Thats absolute silly. Anyone who attempts to haul a 10,000+ pound trailer over unpaved ground is simply asking for trouble.

Heh. You should see some of the rigs that get hauled into boondocking areas here in Michigan. We're talking north woods logging roads and ORV routes. Good times.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your "friend" gave you a whole bunch of misinformation. Some outright wrong.

Ford, GM, Dodge...pick your loyalty. All the newer trucks are great towing machines.

Try to get a handle on the 5ers that you might buy. The newer 3/4 ton trucks can handle a lot but if you might go larger, look to jump up at least to the 1 ton single rear wheel models. They cost next to nothing more but they really boost the 5er rating available (pin weight not tow rating as pin weight is usually the limiting factor)

4x4: If you do a lot of off roading, get it but if you are asking that likely isn't the case (plus big trucks are lousy off road vehicles). Otherwise about the only occasional useful thing about it is using low range as a creeper gear. Otherwise, it's more cost up front and maintenance with worse MPG.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the nobody with a 4x2 :).

Ford may have upgraded the specifications but the limit for towing without weight distribution on my F250 (2012) is 6,000 lbs.

As far as towing an 8,800 lbs trailer with an F250, I think you've got plenty of power/torque to handle that job even with the gas 6.2L. On flat ground I'm running highway speeds at ~1,600 rpm and on the steepest grades I've encountered in Pennsylvania ~3,000 rpm. The maximum trailer weight specification is 12,500 and payload is 4,000 lbs (I have a gas 6.2L, regular cab, 4x2) so the 8,800 lbs isn't coming close to maxing out an F250.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
for what its worth
i bought a 2017 f250 6.2 gasser 4x2 last october to tow our cat scaled 7500lb TT

i towed it before that with my 2000 f150

i can tow it with the f250 coast to coast with no wdh but i wouldn't.

the wdh takes bounce out of suspension and makes for a way better setup. tows very well and balanced great with truck. almost like one unit.

i use a friction sway bar. helps out on the open highway.

if you are planning on a fiver down the road, skip the 3/4 ton and go 1 ton dually diesel either ford, dodge or chevy. they are all fairly reliable now. diesels may require more maintenance etc but they are worth it if you go over 10,000lbs towing

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 RAM 2500 is equipped with Trailer Sway control as part of the electronic brake control system. As with the Ford I'm certain it's a system that only kicks in when excessive sway is detected.

I have used 4wd more than once pulling and backing my TT on wet grass.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
b17drvr wrote:

A properly equipped 4x2 will have more load carrying capacity, get better fuel economy, have a lower step in height. Which a lot of folks, think vertically challanged or older, will appreciate. I started towing my fiver with a 4x4, after three years of not using it while towing swapped for a 4x2 dually. Towed 13 years with no problems what so ever. We took our 4x2 dually places a truck its size should not have gone with no problems.
The OP needs to pick a tow vehicle thst will do the job he intends it to do.

Bedlam
I know there is more sway in the Ram 2500 coils than the 3500 leafs. Truck camper guys are having a hard time tuning that suspension for a top heavy load. This is not a noticeable difference in the GM or Ford when going between their 3/4 and one tons.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My only comment is simply that the RAM truck will have coils on the rear, the Ford will have leaf springs. In my view and opinion, coils belong on a Buick, not a truck

Have you seen one in person? The rear coils on my 17 are large and beefy. Nothing at all like a car coil spring. Loaded with firewood and gear and the trailer hooked up, even without the wdh engaged it hardly squats at all. The rear coil spring suspensions on the 14 and newer HD rams is very stout. Just my .02.

The newer F250s are also excellent trucks. I like them a lot also. You can't go wrong with either of them. Good luck.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.