Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: F-250 vs Ram 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> F-250 vs Ram 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the nobody with a 4x2 [emoticon].

Ford may have upgraded the specifications but the limit for towing without weight distribution on my F250 (2012) is 6,000 lbs.

As far as towing an 8,800 lbs trailer with an F250, I think you've got plenty of power/torque to handle that job even with the gas 6.2L. On flat ground I'm running highway speeds at ~1,600 rpm and on the steepest grades I've encountered in Pennsylvania ~3,000 rpm. The maximum trailer weight specification is 12,500 and payload is 4,000 lbs (I have a gas 6.2L, regular cab, 4x2) so the 8,800 lbs isn't coming close to maxing out an F250.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your "friend" gave you a whole bunch of misinformation. Some outright wrong.

Ford, GM, Dodge...pick your loyalty. All the newer trucks are great towing machines.

Try to get a handle on the 5ers that you might buy. The newer 3/4 ton trucks can handle a lot but if you might go larger, look to jump up at least to the 1 ton single rear wheel models. They cost next to nothing more but they really boost the 5er rating available (pin weight not tow rating as pin weight is usually the limiting factor)

4x4: If you do a lot of off roading, get it but if you are asking that likely isn't the case (plus big trucks are lousy off road vehicles). Otherwise about the only occasional useful thing about it is using low range as a creeper gear. Otherwise, it's more cost up front and maintenance with worse MPG.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

b17drvr wrote:

Get a 4x4 for resale. Nobody wants a 2x2. The 17 and later fords are really nice with the new design.

Thats absolute silly. Anyone who attempts to haul a 10,000+ pound trailer over unpaved ground is simply asking for trouble.

Heh. You should see some of the rigs that get hauled into boondocking areas here in Michigan. We're talking north woods logging roads and ORV routes. Good times.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

b17drvr wrote:

Get a 4x4 for resale. Nobody wants a 2x2. The 17 and later fords are really nice with the new design.

Someone once said, "all 4x4 will do for 90% of people is get them deeper in trouble".

Or out of trouble for that matter, it had for me. It may be different around the country but I don't think you could give a 4x2 away around here.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Mi2bugz

Ennis

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the info! Doing more research lol. Long story short...we would like the following TT and an example of what we would like in a 5th wheel (if we decide to go up).

https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-prime-time-rv-avenger-ati-27dbs-687190-29

https://www.exploreusa.com/product/new-2018-crossroads-rv-volante-3801md-781635-5

I'm concerned I'm making an error in my calculations. I calculated that the 2016 ram 2500 crew cab short box 4x2 hemi with a 4.10 axle ratio (max payload 3,610/max trailer 15,940) AND the Cummins diesel 3.42 axle (2690 lbs / 17,510) can each tow both the ones I listed above based on 13%?????

We haven't settled on ford/dodge or model yet. Just used that as an example to see if calculating correctly. Any suggestions on a good ford towing capacity chart that has max payload listed? The vin decoder I was using is a little confusing with the list of multiple weights for each line.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

b17drvr wrote:

Thats absolute silly. Anyone who attempts to haul a 10,000+ pound trailer over unpaved ground is simply asking for trouble.
A properly equipped 4x2 will have more load carrying capacity, get better fuel economy, have a lower step in height. Which a lot of folks, think vertically challanged or older, will appreciate. I started towing my fiver with a 4x4, after three years of not using it while towing swapped for a 4x2 dually. Towed 13 years with no problems what so ever. We took our 4x2 dually places a truck its size should not have gone with no problems.
Someone once said, "all 4x4 will do for 90% of people is get them deeper in trouble".
The OP needs to pick a tow vehicle thst will do the job he intends it to do.

Lol! There's an arse for every seat for sure. But you need to get out more. May surprise you that people doo more with trucks than hook their campers for a weekend jaunt to the RV park on the coast!
Heck I had to use 4wd last weekend, well maybe not, but I'm not the 90% you're hypothesizing about. Got to a steep gravel boat launch with 4000lbs in the bed and a 5000lb boat on a trailer and the boat was thirsty!
Figgered it would be more a sure thing than spinning out and the truck taking a drink too. And then there's stuff like snow or steep hills, and I wanna look cool ya know!
But aside from that, b17 is right, mostly. There are a "few" that want a 2wd, a few that benefit from a 2wd, some that have to settle for a 2wd, but most want or, gasp, even need a 4x4. And they do have better resale if that money thing is important to you.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife takes the road that the garmin told her to take. I get the call at dusk she is stuck and VERY upset, I know the road it's two miles from camp. I have no way to get to her. I explain 4wd she tries, she says it won't move. Great, she has buried it! I explain 4 low she shoots right of the self induced hole.

Do I need 4wd??? THAT right there made it worth EVERY penny.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mi2bugz, yes either truck you're looking at will tow/haul the same load from a chassis standpoint. You need to research "book" capacities compared to real capacities.
Since you don't understand much mechanically speaking, know that the "book" ratings for payload and axles are typically the absolute most conservative ratings imaginable. And VERY under rated for 3/4 ton trucks.
Do you think the diesel actually has that much less capability for payload than the gasser? Engine is in front, payload goes in the back. They're almost mutually exclusive based on where the weight is in the truck.

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few comments.
I would definitely get a wdh with sway. The system built into the truck is for active sway control, i.e., it has already started. The hitch sway control attempts to start it from ever happening. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I would consider a 350/3500 truck if you plan on going to a fifth wheel.

I would get the brand you like the most. I have a Ram 1500(work), F150EB (primary) and Chev 2500/gas (farm) and on the farm, we have ram 1500/hemi 2500/hemi and 3500/cummins, chevy 2500/dmax and 1500/5.3. We get the best deal for what fits the needs at the time and they all work great.

I would prefer a diesel for towing. Yes for all the standard reasons, but one that gets overlooked is for filling up on the road. Hard to get in and out of interstate gas stations. Go to a truck stop however, and you will have a couple of acres to maneuver as long as your are getting diesel fuel.

best of luck
Joe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> F-250 vs Ram 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS