cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ammunition through Canada

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a US citizen planning a trip through Canada to the Lower 48 and want to transport some ammunition. I found the following Memorandum in the Canada Border Services Agency website. It tells me I can transport certain quantities of ammunition and describes several prohibited ammo types.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-6-1-eng.html

I will be transporting significantly less than the quantities describes in the table in paragraph 4 under "Exemptions".

I just want to be sure I'm reading the Memorandum correctly and that it applies to me.

For what it's worth, my wife and I have travelled from Alaska through Canada and back 10-12 times in the past 10 years with never a problem at the border of either country.

Thanks for your comments.
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
2005 Chevrolet 2500 Ext cab, Long box, Duramax
US Army, retired, x 2
23 REPLIES 23

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MACHZER wrote:
I agree, Ship it. You just going to open a can of grief at the border.
They always suspect a gun and will tear your rig apart to verify

Shipping a large amount of ammo is costly!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the offer, if your other deal falls through. :B
Good luck with it. Make sure you remind your kids often how much you're giving up for them. Especially around Mother's and Father's Day, and your birthdays, and Christmas, of course.:W
Safe travels.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

You do what you need to do. If there was an easy way to emigrate to the United States, I'd have to seriously consider living in Alaska for some part of the year, if not all year round. It's truly an amazing place, what we saw of it in a few short weeks.
Is it too late to put in an offer on your riverfront property? :B

Take care, have a safe trip, and never say never.
You might decide to turn it around someday, and move back up there. It'll still be there if you do. 😉

I think we have a pretty solid offer on the house, but if it falls thru I'll certainly let you know! :B. You're right, never say never. We've already thought about the possibility of moving back at some point if the situation is right. Alaska is a pretty cool place...once it gets in your blood...
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
US Army, retired, x 2

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
aces-n-eights wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm comfortable with my plan. Appreciate the good comments.

MDKMDK wrote:
No problem. Our laws ARE confusing in regards to firearms and related. We don't even understand all of them, or at least there are more than a few head scratchers. :h
Soldotna and the surrounding area is one of the places we passed through 2 years back in August/September on our whirlwind tour of northern Canada and Alaska 2016. It's really quite pretty along there in the Kenai. It's got a little bit of everything. It reminded us a little of the Cape Breton highlands.
We actually stopped by the river, when we saw the wood sculptures of the fish/fishermen along the main drag at the Visitor Info Center. Are those stairs and boardwalks down by the river there for fishing? Or, were they part of a Marina or Park? We couldn't tell, but there were more than a few fisherman taking advantage. I sat on the triple salmon bench, but no selfies, sorry. :C We were headed to Homer, and we spent the night at the Homer Spit CG.

Yeah, we are fortunate to have Kenai River front property and really hate to leave Alaska. We've been trying to convince our kids to come up here, but that hasn't worked so it's time to get closer to them and the grandkids.

The Visitor's Center you mentioned is just upstream from our place on the river. And yes the stairs and boardwalk are public fishing areas. They'll be pretty popular here in a couple of weeks when the reds hit.

You do what you need to do. If there was an easy way to emigrate to the United States, I'd have to seriously consider living in Alaska for some part of the year, if not all year round. It's truly an amazing place, what we saw of it in a few short weeks.
Is it too late to put in an offer on your riverfront property? :B

Take care, have a safe trip, and never say never.
You might decide to turn it around someday, and move back up there. It'll still be there if you do. 😉
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I'm comfortable with my plan. Appreciate the good comments.

MDKMDK wrote:
No problem. Our laws ARE confusing in regards to firearms and related. We don't even understand all of them, or at least there are more than a few head scratchers. :h
Soldotna and the surrounding area is one of the places we passed through 2 years back in August/September on our whirlwind tour of northern Canada and Alaska 2016. It's really quite pretty along there in the Kenai. It's got a little bit of everything. It reminded us a little of the Cape Breton highlands.
We actually stopped by the river, when we saw the wood sculptures of the fish/fishermen along the main drag at the Visitor Info Center. Are those stairs and boardwalks down by the river there for fishing? Or, were they part of a Marina or Park? We couldn't tell, but there were more than a few fisherman taking advantage. I sat on the triple salmon bench, but no selfies, sorry. :C We were headed to Homer, and we spent the night at the Homer Spit CG.

Yeah, we are fortunate to have Kenai River front property and really hate to leave Alaska. We've been trying to convince our kids to come up here, but that hasn't worked so it's time to get closer to them and the grandkids.

The Visitor's Center you mentioned is just upstream from our place on the river. And yes the stairs and boardwalk are public fishing areas. They'll be pretty popular here in a couple of weeks when the reds hit.
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
US Army, retired, x 2

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
I have hauled ammo through Canada several times last time was in 2016. About 3500 rds of four or five different types. Just keep under 5000 rds which include primers.
When I went through Skagway last year I was carrying no ammo and the agent was sure I had some some or maybe was not declaring it. I assured him I had no ammo or guns and for my guns I told him I was cheap I flew my gun out as checked baggage and had to pay nothing. But last year I transported 3500 rds through Beaver Creek. He had already checked into this and let me through. this was about a 40 minute process.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Putting aside the question of firearms it would seem you don't need a special permit for less than 5,000 rounds.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to recall you can call the Canadian Government Department Border, not sure what they call it, Canada Customs? And talk to them and get it ok'd first, I think you can get it in writing?

Call them first, try to get in writing.

Good luck to you.

aces-n-eights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks MDKMDK, those are the comments I was looking for. It appears you have read my original post as well as the Memorandum! Thank you.

I have already printed the Memo and will have an itemized list of the items I'm planning to bring with me on the trip.

I don't think I'm over thinking this. I just want some confirmation that I am on the right track, backed up by Canadian law.
2004 Outfitter 9.5 Apex
US Army, retired, x 2

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
aces-n-eights wrote:
I'm a US citizen planning a trip through Canada to the Lower 48 and want to transport some ammunition. I found the following Memorandum in the Canada Border Services Agency website. It tells me I can transport certain quantities of ammunition and describes several prohibited ammo types.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-6-1-eng.html

I will be transporting significantly less than the quantities describes in the table in paragraph 4 under "Exemptions".

I just want to be sure I'm reading the Memorandum correctly and that it applies to me.

For what it's worth, my wife and I have travelled from Alaska through Canada and back 10-12 times in the past 10 years with never a problem at the border of either country.

Thanks for your comments.

I think you're good to go, under Exemptions 4(c) and (d) and Chart Item (3), columns 1 and 2. Might not hurt to bring a printed copy of those website pages with you, jic. There might be CBSA staff at the primary inspection that are new, or filling in for someone on vacation, and they might be unfamiliar with the rules and regs.

Interesting to note, farther down, in that, according to this memo,
"Presentation of a Canadian Firearms Licence is not necessary to import ammunition." So, you can bring some into Canada without a PAL, but you can't buy it, once here, without one?
I've declared ammo importation before at the border, and usually just get a nod or shrug or "anything else to declare?". The signs suggest "please declare all firearms and weapons". That's it.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Take the ferry to / from Seattle, Do not disembark in Canada, Do not worry either.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Find FFL in Alaska, call them and ask if you can ship your items there to be held for you to pick up. Also a good time to ask them any questions you have about packing, labeling, etc.

Even if there is a small fee, might be better than someone having a bad day at the border deciding to do exploratory surgery on your lower extremities 😮

When traveling to Hawaii, we called the hotel and if you're a registered guest, they will often accept packages for you and hold until your arrival. Keep in mind the limited 'security' of their storage is often "held in the office until you claim it"

Use good cases 😉

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Question I have is WHY do you want to bring the ammunition?

Honestly OB, not your business. This is why this type of thread gets shut down.

If you follow the rules you shouldn't have any issues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]