cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Libby Flats - Snowy Range Scenic Byway - Wyoming Hwy 130

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently having need to head this-a-way, we spent an overnight at the Ryan Park Campground, on the Saratoga, WY side of the route. On our way there, we drove from Laramie and Centennial, westbound toward Saratoga, WY on Wyoming State Highway 130.

We had lived near this segment of Wyoming for six years back in the late eighties, but hadn't been back here for quite some time. Back in the day, we used to hunt for National Forest Service permitted Christmas Trees - on snowshoes - then down to the Hobo Pool, a free hot springs and family soak (with changing/rest rooms) located adjacent to the municipal swimming pool in Saratoga.

Here at an elevation of 10,665', is an observation point named Libby Flats. At this elevation, the wind blows near constant, putting the tree branches on the east sides of the tree trunks, almost invariably. And on this day in early June, there was still enough snow to keep the upper campgrounds closed.

But the scenery is spectacular, especially with the snow. Back in the 1930's the CCC was here too, where they built this observation platform. Enjoy the views!

When you know what you're looking for, you'll see Rocky Mountain National Park in some of these shots.

Conditions here are difficult, but life is tenacious. Little tufts of life appear on the downwind sides of any other live system willing to poke its head into the flow. Little islands of growth are the result, dotting the barren looking landscapes.

But there really isn't anything barren. Life is everywhere!

Just a side note.

11 REPLIES 11

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
Eaglemax wrote:
How is the tow up there? I will be crossing down into Saratoga this weekend. Any steep grades to know about? Thanks for the post looking forward to checking it out!

We were just up there a few weeks ago, without our rig, stayed in Centennial for a party. I didn't see anything on the main roads that would make towing difficult, but we did come from Laramie vs Saratoga. We cruised through a few campgrounds though just to check them out, North Fork and Sugarloaf, and determined that there was no way we could bring our big camper out there, only because the spaces and the campground roads themselves weren't big enough. There were a few folks in North Fork with some large horse trailers though. Sugarloaf is reserved for probably under 30'.

Too bad too, because Sugarloaf was one of the more scenic places I've been to. After that drive I told my husband we either need a truck camper or a smaller travel trailer so we can camp in places like that for a few days. In addition to our big 5er of course. A girl can dream.

Also to note, be sure you fill up in Laramie. There's not a lot of gas options once you get out there. Centennial has a gas station but it's expensive and not really easy to get in and out.

There's a couple of hairpin curves coming up from Centennial, but certainly doable. Closer to getting up top.

There's a pull off up top on the south side, a parking lot and a short walk to an observation platform. Magnificent views of Rocky Mountain National Park to the south and Medicine Bow Peak to the north. From Sugarloaf CG, there's a marvelous hike back to The Gap, with pristine lakes along the way. On the north side of The Gap, there's a good chance to see sheep and a sheepherder's wagon.

Before getting up top there's also Broooklyn Lake CG. Though small (19 sites) it's beautiful place, with good views of the lake.

Further west is Ryan Park, which has more sites and can probably accommodate larger rigs than Sugarloaf.

Definitely fuel up in Laramie. The station in Centennial has erratic hours as well, and the next fuel is in Saratoga WY. There's 2 stations there, that have gas and diesel.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Eaglemax wrote:
How is the tow up there? I will be crossing down into Saratoga this weekend. Any steep grades to know about? Thanks for the post looking forward to checking it out!

We were just up there a few weeks ago, without our rig, stayed in Centennial for a party. I didn't see anything on the main roads that would make towing difficult, but we did come from Laramie vs Saratoga. We cruised through a few campgrounds though just to check them out, North Fork and Sugarloaf, and determined that there was no way we could bring our big camper out there, only because the spaces and the campground roads themselves weren't big enough. There were a few folks in North Fork with some large horse trailers though. Sugarloaf is reserved for probably under 30'.

Too bad too, because Sugarloaf was one of the more scenic places I've been to. After that drive I told my husband we either need a truck camper or a smaller travel trailer so we can camp in places like that for a few days. In addition to our big 5er of course. A girl can dream.

Also to note, be sure you fill up in Laramie. There's not a lot of gas options once you get out there. Centennial has a gas station but it's expensive and not really easy to get in and out.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Eaglemax
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Ford F-350 PSD
2013 Cyclone 2812
2007 KingQuad Camo
2007 King Quad Red
2006 Kymco Mongoose 250
2008 Kymco Mongoose 50
2005 Yamaha 125 TTR

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
Recently having need to head this-a-way, we spent an overnight at the Ryan Park Campground, on the Saratoga, WY side of the route. On our way there, we drove from Laramie and Centennial, westbound toward Saratoga, WY on Wyoming State Highway 130.

We had lived near this segment of Wyoming for six years back in the late eighties, but hadn't been back here for quite some time. Back in the day, we used to hunt for National Forest Service permitted Christmas Trees - on snowshoes - then down to the Hobo Pool, a free hot springs and family soak (with changing/rest rooms) located adjacent to the municipal swimming pool in Saratoga.

Here at an elevation of 10,665', is an observation point named Libby Flats. At this elevation, the wind blows near constant, putting the tree branches on the east sides of the tree trunks, almost invariably. And on this day in early June, there was still enough snow to keep the upper campgrounds closed.

But the scenery is spectacular, especially with the snow. Back in the 1930's the CCC was here too, where they built this observation platform. Enjoy the views!

When you know what you're looking for, you'll see Rocky Mountain National Park in some of these shots.

Conditions here are difficult, but life is tenacious. Little tufts of life appear on the downwind sides of any other live system willing to poke its head into the flow. Little islands of growth are the result, dotting the barren looking landscapes.

Just a side note.

THANK YOU - BEAUTIFUL
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:

Just a side note.

THANK YOU - BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We went hiking up there a few years ago and 9 out of 10 cars in the parking lot were from CO. The secret has been out for awhile now.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I have crossed Libby Flats in the winter with 80mph winds. Obviously we were on snowmobiles. It is truly unbelievable how nasty it can get up there. The Snowy's are truly beautiful, but can be very dangerous. Not so much avalanche danger, but exposure danger.

We have ridden the Snowy's many times, always stay at Mountain Meadows cabins.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope not too many subscribers read about this specular area. It is the only close place for us Coloradoan's can go as out state is burning up and who wants to go camping in a smoke filled state?

Hope this message work! There are too many people in Colorado anymore!

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing, we were at that spot at the end of June 2016, and yes the wind was blowing when we were there.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing, Dave! The Saratoga area is on our list!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great Pics! And a reminder with those pics that this area is magnificent, with about 1/20th of the number of people to contend with in Rocky.

On the opposite/north side is Granite Peak, a magnificent mountain with hikes to the top (a bit strenuous) and an easier hike to The Gap, a pass of sorts that separates Granite Peak from Round Mountain (I think that's it's name). Been a while since I've been up there and a great reminder to return. Plan on doing just that in early August, and hopefully will be able to stay at either Sugarloaf or Brooklyn Lake CG.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.