Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Onan Micro 4000 Generator Won't Start
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Onan Micro 4000 Generator Won't Start

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
txnese

Pearland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generator was working fine, but I turned it off and now it won't start. Seems like a low battery, but they're full. Almost thinking a wire fell off, but don't see anything obvious. The lights on the start button is dim when pushed and i hear a ticking noise. Any suggestions on where to start? Looks like I have a code 32, but again, the light is really dim.

* This post was edited 07/05/18 11:29am by txnese *

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed mine from my Class C, took the cover off, and found the positive feed to the battery was totally loose. Cleaned it up and it works just fine now.

It's a bit of a bugger to get the generator output wires pulled back. Find the electrical junction box first. I found mine inside the "insides" of the unit. The electrical flexible conduit with the wires in it came through the floor and into the metal junction box. The junction box was found inside the closet panel with opening doors on the top, but with a screwed panel over the bottom (what could be another shelf but contains pipes and the junction box) section of the cupboard.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean and tighten the battey terminals and ground wire. A little corrosion can make a difference.

txnese

Pearland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll check them when I get back, but the batteries were installed less than 6 months ago. I did check them for tightness, nothing seems loose.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

txnese wrote:

I'll check them when I get back, but the batteries were installed less than 6 months ago. I did check them for tightness, nothing seems loose.

Clean the terminals. If I get a (very) little corrosion on the battery terminals, my 96 Southwind won't start. Same as the Onan 5000.
Clean them to make sure.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/18 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

are you checking both the house and the chassis batteries? which does your generator use?

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing. My MH has a switch right next to the step under which the house batteries are stored. That switch turns the house batteries ON. Without it on it acts just like you're saying. I have gone around the horn a few times before I realized my error.

In my situation I was plugged into shore power and the charger produced enough juice to light up and click but not enough to crank the genny (no surprise).

* This post was edited 07/05/18 01:56pm by Juzaxadar *

2000 Minnie 31C V10

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has wire on sideniod that doesn't always make good connection. I have to clean connection and then good to go. I even have a paper clip under Male side of spade type connector.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

txnese wrote:

I'll check them when I get back, but the batteries were installed less than 6 months ago. .

I think you are assuming too much here. The batteries could have been installed yesterday and if not done right, the connections could be bad today.

And how do you KNOW that the batteries have a full charge.

If it sounds like the batteries are weak, then they probably ARE....or the connections are bad somewhere. Do not assume anything.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/18 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One trick in startin generator is to fire up the rv engine - that places both the chassis and coach batteries in parallel - should provide you with maximum DC for starting up generator. As others have said - clean the positive/ground connections on batteries and generator.

Kevin

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Onan Micro 4000 Generator Won't Start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS