Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous rig was a Northstar Igloo on a 2010 Dodge crew cab 4x4 2500 diesel. Due to a traffic accident I am replacing the truck with a 2018 Dodge crew cab 4x4 3500 diesel.

The GVW of my rig will be just about the 12300 pound rating for the 3500 with about 7200 pounds on the rear axle. The 2500 definitely needed help with that weight. I put on Rancho shocks and Firestone airbags. The airbags added lots of sway to the ride so I kept the pressure so low they probably did very little good. After a couple of years I added SuperSprings. That made a huge improvement and finally gave me a decent ride with little sway.

Now I am not sure what modifications, if any, are needed for the 3500. My dealer is recommending airbags again. I don't even want to try that based on the sway problem from last time. I am not sure if Rancho shocks are worthwhile since I never drove with the OEM shocks. For a suspension boost I am thinking of Stable Loads or SuperSprings but I am really not sure if I need either.

Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a SRW GMC 3500 crew cab 4X4, sort box, and haul a Northern Lite 8-11 drybath Camper. All I added were Timbren SRS rubber overload springs. You would have to go on line and see if they have any that for your truck.
Airbags aren’t the best thing around here, as we spend lots of time off road camping, and there is a very good chance that you will pop an airbag on gravel logging and Mining roads. The no maintenance Timbren SRS rubber overload was a perfect fit for us.

Soup

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious. On your airbags, was there one air inlet hooked up to both bags, or did each side have it's own?

I've seen a bunch of posts that said that a single inlet allows air to move from one side to the other, which is why the airbags don't seem to help with sway at all, but that the double inlet doesn't have that problem.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my previous 2016 Ram 3500 SRW I just had a BigWig sway bar. My Bigfoot is approaching 4500# wet and heavily loaded.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

I'm curious. On your airbags, was there one air inlet hooked up to both bags, or did each side have it's own?

I've seen a bunch of posts that said that a single inlet allows air to move from one side to the other, which is why the airbags don't seem to help with sway at all, but that the double inlet doesn't have that problem.

The right and left airbags were independent. I believe the RV dealer set the pressures at about 50 pounds. The sway was really bad but that was my first experience trying to drive with a camper on the truck. Later I tinkered and lowered the pressure to the 20 pound range. I also cranked up the Rancho shocks to maximum. That helped with the sway but the shocks made the ride really bad and every tar strip in the road was very annoying. On my first cross country trip, I stopped at the Northstar plant. Rex recommended setting the bags so the passenger side was 1 1/2 inch higher to compensate for the crown in the road. We left with about 45 pounds on the left and 65 on the right. The sway was horrible again so I dropped back to about 15 pounds on both. I did not check the bags again for a couple of years and when I did one bag was torn and the other had just a couple of pounds of pressure.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have overloads, extended bump stops will help with sway if you need airbags to level the ride. I use Energy Suspension ones on current but also the SRW I had. 19.5s also helped with sway on the SRW. F450 comes with stock 19.5s.

Do keep the airbags at a minimum.

Finally, consider upgraded sway bar like a Hellwig Big Wig. That depends on if you truck has one or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Now I am not sure what modifications, if any, are needed for the 3500.

Your dealer's advice was good. Rams work very well with airbags. However, it is important that the air lines to each bag is independent and not connected to each other. I use Energy Suspension overload bumpers and air the bags to the point where the overload spring just touches the overload bumper. The ride is very stable around corners, in wind, passed by trucks, etc with an approximately 4000 pound camper. Also, be certain your tires are at a high pressure to eliminate any sway, also. Of course, and it goes without saying, if you really want a stable ride purchase a truck with training wheels.

* This post was edited 07/06/18 08:40am by jmtandem *

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't even try loading the camper on the new truck before installing an upgraded rear anti-sway bar and Stable-loads. Still trying to decide on the front anti-sway bar.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you driven it yet to see if you even need weight supporting mods?
A sway bar will always help and then see what you need. MaYbe nothing, maybe lower spring wedges or stable loads, maybe Timbrens, maybe springs or bags.
But bags will increase sway unless you’re loading the suspension up with a good portion of the weight rather than trying to carry it on the bags.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. So far I have 2 recommendations for sway bars and 1 recommendation each for timbrens, bump stops, airbags and stable loads.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS