Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With air bags you want to set them up so the truck is level side to side and the overloads just touch, if you use the air bags to lift the spring pack so the overloads don't engage you will get a really bouncy ride with more sway.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What he said^^.
That’s why I said, load the camper up before you decide.
Sway bar will help bunches regardless of other mods to increase “capacity.”
But the newer 4th Gen 3500s are comfortable with some serious weight in them just on OE springs.
You “want” it to squat some, like down to level, or at a minimum, engage the lower overloads so it “squats” onto the main leaf overload even if it doesn’t drop much.
Hence the wedges or stable loads. You don’t have a factory upper overload on a srw.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You don’t have a factory upper overload on a srw.

So, you are saying no RAM SRWs have upper overloads? I didn't know that.

* This post was edited 07/06/18 10:26pm by jimh425 *

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fortunately, it seems that I am not going to need much if anything. I guess that is to be expected since it seems all my 2500 needed was some help from supersprings. If anything I might try the stable loads but I will probably do a trial run before making that decision.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in those shoes 2 years ago when I was waiting for new F350 dually.
Everybody on this forum was telling me I will need stable loads, air bags and who knows what else, when turn out new trucks are having stronger suspension, when my new aluminium bed put about 300 lb less on rear axle than older steel bed.
So without modifications my dually hauled 6500 lb camper, what per 1 drive via scales put 6700 lb on rear axle and it was handling perfectly.
Later on I put sulastic hangers on it to soften empty ride and just for the sake of it, I put hockey pucks on upper overload stop.
Have fun with new truck.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1, thanks for the encouragement. I have had a rough few days. My 2010 was in perfect condition and I was just about to load the camper and take off for a few months. I got rear ended so hard the truck was totaled. So my travels have to be postponed and I need to pay many thousands for a new truck. I looked at Ford but there were no suitable trucks nearby. I am getting a much better deal by buying a Dodge that is in the dealers lot.

I am also hoping that a 3500 will carry the load without any worry. I will be at the top of the GVWR but usually those numbers are conservative.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim, gvw and axle numbers are very conservative and your new truck has the same rear axle and heavier springs.
Have you loaded the camper yet?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it ain't broke,don't fix it!

I would not put anything on until I loaded the camper and tried it,then you will know exactly what you need to address, if anything.

'94 Ford F-350 DRW/460 EFI(91K miles)/Lance 9.6/Happijac's/Helwig SB/Reese solid bar extension/Firestone bags and siped AT3's.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Jim, gvw and axle numbers are very conservative and your new truck has the same rear axle and heavier springs.
Have you loaded the camper yet?

I put down a deposit. Insurance check should clear so I can get the truck Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I need brackets for fastguns and a 7 pin connection. I realized there is a 7 pin but it needs to be moved. I will try to decide if I can do these tasks easily myself. Otherwise I need a half day drive to reach my dealer. That means an overnight motel stay as a minimum. My dealer did the full setup before so I need to find out exactly what is involved before I decide to do the setup myself.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Roger that.
Tie down brackets are an easy bolt upnif you’re somewhat capable.
Depending how much you use a camper, a pigtail for the lights works just as well and cheaper than having someone install another plug.
Either way, with just a bed mat, you can drop the camper on and taker for a spin around the block without tieowns to see what u need for suspension.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS