Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Steve, thanks. I am not surprised about the Timbrens. They seem to be very similar to airbags and my experience with airbags was horrible. Too much sway even with Rancho shocks cranked up.

Timbrens on a Ram or GM truck should reduce sway. I have used them on two different GM 1 ton trucks and they definitely reduce sway.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

Timbrens on a Ram or GM truck should reduce sway. I have used them on two different GM 1 ton trucks and they definitely reduce sway.

So here's a photo of a Ram/Timbren borrowed from another thread. Once loaded, the gap above the axle will be gone. This transfers load from the spring pack to the inboard Timbren, increasing sway.[image]

To see how this works, imagine the Timbrens moved all the way inboard to the center of the axle; with no load at all on the spring packs.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stevenal, have you ever used Timbrens?

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

Stevenal, have you ever used Timbrens?

Already said so. Still yes.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

^^good info. I had Firestone bags on a Class C and hated them.

Y'all aren't using airbags to properly then in situations where body roll (high cog loads) is a concern.
The bags cannot support the majority of the load and take the majority of the load off the leaf springs. Well they can, but you will have the proverbial bouncy house and alot of body roll.
Assuming you're not just horribly overloaded and require the bags to take the brunt of the load, then as long as you keep all the springs engaged, main leaf, upper overload if present, either by sag or by engaging them earlier int he suspension stroke, the airbags won't add to the body roll noticeably.
Sway bar helps even more.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few minutes are available, so here's my progression.

New F350 in 2004. Loaded the old BF 1500 on it with no mods and headed out. Didn't seem too bad, even on some of the back roads we went on.

Next trip involved the boat, with 4 to 5 hundred lbs on the tongue. Night time drivers were not happy, kept flicking their high beams at me.

Researched supplemental springs, and settled on Timbren. Set and forget was appealing. Next trip involved the boat, and all seemed well.

Headed out without the boat. Worst sway I've experienced to that date.

Used the bump stops removed during the Timbren installation as overload spring bump stops, and added two Energy Suspension bump stops to the mix. Big improvement.

No boat, and with my wife driving on a two lane shoulder-less road, a steering correction began a crazy oscillation with us whip-sawing back and forth down the highway until she could get us safely stopped. This is no longer just an inconvenience, the safety of the family is at risk.

Replaced the factory rear ant-sway with a Roadmaster. I liked the improvement so much, I replaced the front with a Helwig.

We ran it this way many years prior to replacing the truck in '17. I didn't load the camper on the new F350 until I had put a Roadmaster and Stableloads on the back. That's where we are today.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Y'all aren't using airbags to properly then in situations where body roll (high cog loads) is a concern.
The bags cannot support the majority of the load and take the majority of the load off the leaf springs. Well they can, but you will have the proverbial bouncy house and alot of body roll.

The guy I bought my truck from must have had a monster camper on it,he said a 10 foot...The air bags make it so the overloads are a couple inches before they hit pay dirt or engage..I don't have any sway to speak of and the only other upgrade in the rear is the sway bar.I just never have experienced sway from air bags...

Granted,the only mods I ever did to my trucks was extra springs or something like the Helwig helper springs..I have never put anti-sway bars on in the past or air bags for a truck camper, because I never needed them..Spring upgrades always solved any issue I had.

Somehow buying a $40K truck then having to ad suspension help, doesn't seem right,but it is what it is.

'94 Ford F-350 DRW/460 EFI(91K miles)/Lance 9.6/Happijac's/Helwig SB/Reese solid bar extension/Firestone bags and siped AT3's.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Y'all aren't using airbags to properly .......

The only proper use I found was no pressure at all. I got lots of sway with the bags set by the RV dealer at about 45 pounds. I ended up dropping the pressure to the 15-25 pound range to reduce the sway. Later I got the best results when they finally lost pressure and one bag had a tear.

MiniAdventures

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have used timbrens since '05. Only thing I noted was a very harsh
ride with the TC off. To this day, I believe an unloaded drive on a bumpy dirt rode (sic) shook my kidney stone loose.

2005 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Hemi Quad 4x4 Timbrens
2005 Lance Lite 815 Extended Cab A/C
1994 Ranger R72 Bass Boat Johnson 115
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
... you can never have enough toys ...

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Somehow buying a $40K truck then having to ad suspension help, doesn't seem right,but it is what it is.

Try spending $70k on new truck and couple months later another $6000 for air suspension for it.
At least 1 member here did it and I was tempted, but I am frugal and my truck is designated for TC, meaning very seldom I drive it empty and that is where sulastic hangers helped for only $300.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for suspension mods on a new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS