Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Can someone explain this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can someone explain this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are RAM and Chevy trucks crew cab 8 ft.bed like the Ford? Are all of them diesel power? Does any of them have snow plow prep front springs or camper pkg? There’s a lot of unknowns just looking at the stickers of each.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The explanation is why people shouldn’t take the stickers for gospel. The loads on the stickers only marginally represent the vehicles capabilities.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

..... I was looking for an explanation from those people on how a truck with less GAWR can have a higher GVWR.
i provided one possible explanation. In short, there is no direct correlation between GAWR and GVWR. You can have 10 ton axles on a 5 ton frame.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demiles wrote:

Are RAM and Chevy trucks crew cab 8 ft.bed like the Ford?

The Ford is a long wheel base, my Ram is a short bed, anf GM is a short bed.

demiles wrote:

Are all of them diesel power?
All are diesels.

demiles wrote:

Does any of them have snow plow prep front springs or camper pkg?
Not sure.

demiles wrote:

There’s a lot of unknowns just looking at the stickers of each.

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. My point is why does a truck that has less GAWR have a higher GVWR. Shouldn't a truck a 12,500 combined GAWR have a higher GVWR that a truck that only has an 11,940 combined GAWR?

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Simply a matter of 'Classification' ----No mystery involved

I was looking for an explanation from those people on how a truck with less GAWR can have a higher GVWR.

I am confused by this statement. Does this have to do with your post on another thread. Because you gave no examples like this here. All combined axle limits were higher than GVWR. Unless I miss read something.

Or are you making comparisons between different trucks. Because if you are, if you are not bald now you will be trying to rationalize this variance.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

..... I was looking for an explanation from those people on how a truck with less GAWR can have a higher GVWR.
i provided one possible explanation. In short, there is no direct correlation between GAWR and GVWR. You can have 10 ton axles on a 5 ton frame.

And I rebutted that explanation with more information just like any other convo between two people.

In regards to the frame, my 2500 is formed from the same steel and has the same strength as the 3500 which has a higher GVWR. Everything else on the truck is the same as a 3500 too. So the truck itself can handle more than the 6,500 GAWR of the rear axle to know that it is not the weak link here which makes the "10 ton axle on a 5 ton frame" a moot point.

* This post was edited 07/06/18 02:55pm by ShinerBock *

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I was looking for an explanation from those people on how a truck with less GAWR can have a higher GVWR.

I am confused by this statement. Does this have to do with your post on another thread. Because you gave no examples like this here. All combined axle limits were higher than GVWR. Unless I miss read something.

Or are you making comparisons between different trucks. Because if you are, if you are not bald now you will be trying to rationalize this variance.

No, my point is why does a truck that has less front GAWR, less rear GAWR, and less combined GAWR have a higher GVWR. Basically I am asking why does a truck with a 12,500 combined GAWR have a 10k GVWR while a truck that only has an 11,940 combined GAWR have an 11.5k GVWR?

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

mich800 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

No, my point is why does a truck that has less front GAWR, less rear GAWR, and less combined GAWR have a higher GVWR. Basically I am asking why does a truck with a 12,500 combined GAWR have a 10k GVWR while a truck that only has an 11,940 combined GAWR have an 11.5k GVWR?

The short answer is because they want to. You are going down a rabbit hole that will only lead to more questions than answers.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

The short answer is because they want to. You are going down a rabbit hole that will only lead to more questions than answers.

Then why do people here abide by GVWR and payloads so much if they are just made up?

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to ignore the manufacturer ratings go ahead. I don’t think anyone here gives a _____ what you do with your own truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can someone explain this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS