Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Full time with two vehicles?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full time with two vehicles?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KC10Chief

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are still a few years away from RVing full time but I was wondering if anybody travels with two vehicles? I have a Jeep problem. I've had Jeeps for years. Currently have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I bought new. It's a pretty useless vehicle for anything but off roading. It gets terrible gas mileage, is big on the outside but small on the inside, drives like a dumpster in the wind, can't tow anything bigger than a pop-up, etc. I know a class A could pull it no problem. But I'd really like a 5th wheel for full timing. Our idea for full timing, is to move short distances and stay for a couple weeks or more before moving on. I'd tow the RV, and my wife could drive the Jeep. I just feel like I get a lot more RV for my money with a 5er. Anybody else full timing and moving occasionally with a tow vehicle and another vehicle?

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trade the Jeep for a 3/4- 1t tow truck, keep her car. Even set it up to tow her car behind the 5er After a couple weeks having a pickup you wont miss the Jeep, wonder why you ever had one.

In your post I surmise you were going to keep the Jeep, trade her car. Hmmm.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been using two vehicles for the last eight years except when going to Alaska. Our chase car is getting old 190000+ miles and we're debating whether to replace it. Oh and Sandi hates driving it.

The best part of the chase car is that if I put on the blinker to change lanes she'll make the lane change and give me the space I need.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would you need a Jeep if you have a truck? Do you do that much off-pavement exploring where a 4WD truck does not go?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I follow driving our Jeep. Hubby pulls a utility trailer with motorcycles behind the class A. We do 200 or less miles if possible on days we travel. Like stickdog said I can be of assistance in lane maneuvers and watch the trailer, tires, awnings etc to alert him if something isn't right.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be done because we know people who have done it. It's not something we would like to do especially on a full time basis. We prefer to travel together. I agree with another poster about considering a four wheel drive truck as a toad.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

dblr

Newark De

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some of us who tow the large 5th wheels with class 8 tractors then modify the truck to carry whatever vehicle you want. Now grant it for a Jeep it makes for a long set up but possible, I suggest looking at the HDT Resource Guide web site for more info. This is not for everyone but just another option, good luck on whatever route you choose.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KC10Chief wrote:

Anybody else full timing and moving occasionally with a tow vehicle and another vehicle?

Forget towing the Jeep behind a 5er. In most (ALL ??) states, tandem towing is illegal....and dangerous and pretty much impossible to back up if you get in a bind.

Actually having someone drive each vehicle is the only good plan.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been full-time for three years now and use a second vehicle (tow vehicle and rig in signature). Until this May, the second vehicle was a 2009 Toyota Corolla. My wife liked driving it but the seats weren't good enough for my back when we wanted to day trip, etc. A couple of months ago we sold it and bought a 2018 Honda CR-V EX-L. We're loving it! Both cars have made it much easier navigating inner cities (family in Baltimore, San Diego, etc.) and places like National Parks.

You might want to read these threads over on RV-Dreams.com:

http://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t64640311/second-vehicle/

http://rv-dreams.activeboard.com/t57786019/is-there-a-need-for-a-second-vehicle/

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have friends that began full timing last year. He towed the 5ver and she followed in the car. This year they bought a Razor, sold her car and bought a small pickup. Now he still tows his 5ver and she follows with the pickup towing the Razor on a trailer. We would not enjoy that, but it works for them. To date, though, they pretty much rotate between wintering in AZ, and seeing their kids in CO, AR and TX. We travel full time all over the country other than our winter 3-5 month stop.

Having the smaller pickup gives them a more comfortable and fuel efficient 2nd vehicle. Of course I understand wanting the 2nd vehicle which is why we FT in a Toy Hauler and have our Goldwing with us. Good luck.

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full time with two vehicles?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS