Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Going to Mount Rushmore area with 2 dogs, doggy day care?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

 > Going to Mount Rushmore area with 2 dogs, doggy day care?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
eb145

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/08/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the RV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.

Normy

Central Mass

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/09/18 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Normy wrote:

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, we used pet sitters at some of the camp grounds. They met us and our dog one day before being left with the sitters. They were walked, fed, played with, and stayed in my trailer with their own dog beds, dog dishes, Etc. More comfortable in their own surroundings. We also found pet groomers who came to the camp grounds. We had a pet sitter in New York and in Alaska.



You had good luck then? Were you a bit worried about security and/or leaving them with individuals? Was this a service the campground provided either as their service or they know these people and gave you their contact info, someone they trust to be at your site or staying in their campground as well?

Thanks
Normy


[emoticon] Hi, the pet sitter in New York was recommended by the owners of the camp ground. They were long term residents. Like six months at a time. They also had their own dogs.

The pet sitter in Alaska was also highly recommended by the owners of the camp ground. We were told by the owners and the young girl pet sitter that her Dad was a Doctor and this girl was a student to become a Veterinarian.

We left both of the sitters a key to our trailer and came home each evening to a happy dog.


Thanks, I'm going to check into this with the campgrounds. Also, I was sent a link called Rover.com that offers sitting and other services throughout the lower 48.

I think we maybe touring longer than 6 hours on some of the days and if my boys come with us, I will need a "service" for them.

Thanks
Normy


Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy


Normy

Central Mass

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/09/18 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

I purchased a temp stik that monitors temp, connection and humidityI purchased a temp stik that monitors temp, connection and humidity. Since we have been travelling with Lucky and Lucie for years we know they do not bark just wait patiently for us to return. I set it on checking every 15 mins and always have our mi-fi fully charged for the internet connection. If the temps goes over my setpoint it sends a text and e mail to both my and the DW phone. If that occurs we leave and go directly back to the fiver. I might add that we always try to stay within 30 to 45 mins of whatever point of interest we are visting on this account.


Is this the brand name?

Normy

Central Mass

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/09/18 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eb145 wrote:

I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.


so this works great, no issues using yet?

Thanks

[email protected]

Windsor NC

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/09/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is Temp Stik. Easy to set up and easy to use. I think it is around 130 bucks for everything.


Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie


eb145

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/14/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normy wrote:

eb145 wrote:

I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.


so this works great, no issues using yet?

Thanks


No issues with it yet. I have a Temp Stick also, but the temp stick batteries kept dying too quickly for me so I stopped using it after a few months. The RV Whisper system runs off of a USB charging station I hardwired to the RV 12V system so it and my Verizon jetpack are always on.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/16/18 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normy wrote:



My mini dachshund is a good boy for the most part, but he does have some separation anxiety when camping and not at home.

We just adopted a 9 year old Yorkie who loves camping but barks at every little noise when we are separated and left in the camper. As you can imagine, the Yorkie then sets off the mini dachshund. We only camped with him this past Memorial weekend so we have no other camping history with him. He loves his mom and can't stand being left out of camping fun. They are both fine at home and have a routine, so no issues at home.



We always took a big long walk before we left our Aussie and Cattle Dog behind. Tired dogs tend to be good dogs :-) We took a 7.5 hr Glacier boat tour while in Alaska (A bit longer than I like to leave my dogs, but they are good guys!) First, we did a hike around the outskirts of Valdez.....they were STILL sound asleep when we returned. Seemed sort of offended that our arrival interrupted their nap.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/16/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eb145 wrote:

Normy wrote:

eb145 wrote:

I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.


so this works great, no issues using yet?

Thanks


No issues with it yet. I have a Temp Stick also, but the temp stick batteries kept dying too quickly for me so I stopped using it after a few months. The RV Whisper system runs off of a USB charging station I hardwired to the RV 12V system so it and my Verizon jetpack are always on.


I am curious as to what you have or had your temp stik set on if you use batteries fast. I just changed mine yesterday and it had been on since last October. Mine is set on to check every hour when we are home and when travelling AND leaving Lucky and Lucie by themselves I set it to check every 15 mins. When we get back to the fiver I reset it to check every hour.

eb145

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/16/18 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

eb145 wrote:

Normy wrote:

eb145 wrote:

I use the RV Whisper temperature monitorRV Whisper temperature monitor so I can leave my dog in the RV for a few hours. I can check the temperature over the internet and it sends me email and text messages if it gets too hot.

My lab is happy sleeping in the RV for a few hours but I used to worry about her overheating and not knowing until I got back.


so this works great, no issues using yet?

Thanks


No issues with it yet. I have a Temp Stick also, but the temp stick batteries kept dying too quickly for me so I stopped using it after a few months. The RV Whisper system runs off of a USB charging station I hardwired to the RV 12V system so it and my Verizon jetpack are always on.


I am curious as to what you have or had your temp stik set on if you use batteries fast. I just changed mine yesterday and it had been on since last October. Mine is set on to check every hour when we are home and when travelling AND leaving Lucky and Lucie by themselves I set it to check every 15 mins. When we get back to the fiver I reset it to check every hour.


That is a good idea, changing the check time to 15 minutes only when necessary. I think I had it set to 15 minutes which does drain the batteries much faster than the 1 hour default time. The RV Whisper gadget logs temperature data every 5 minutes which I like a lot. I like to be able to check the temperature remotely on hot days and seeing more current data makes me feel better. I always worry about alerts getting lost, so I like being able to check the temperature and see data that is no more than a few minutes old.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

 > Going to Mount Rushmore area with 2 dogs, doggy day care?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS