Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevy 1500 vs 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 1500 vs 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim549 wrote:

So, my question is, would a ¾ ton pickup with a trailer package improve the ride pulling a 30 foot TT (GVWR 9000)?

The original question? Yes....physics and common sense.

Heavier weight, beefier frame, larger suspension components like springs etc. Heavy duty drive-line components. Higher weight capacity of axles and tires. Floating rear axle. Better braking with larger components. The list goes on and on.

You can put better tires on a 1/2 ton, better shocks, and a whole gaggle of suspension adds. That may get you where you want to be or feel you need to be. You can also put lipstick on a pig.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim549 wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for the helpful advice.

Now, based on the advice I received from this thread, we (I) have decided a new 2500 is in order after the first of the year.

I have a feeling that you wanted a 2500 when you started this thread.[emoticon] What better place to get backup for I need a BIGGER TRUCK, than rv.net. However, for the size trailer, you have the right idea.

Jerry

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim549 wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for the helpful advice.

Just a couple of comments; The WD system was setup by the dealer. There is only 1/4 inch difference between the front and back of the truck. The front being higher. And when I mentioned dealership in my original posting, I was referring to the Chevy dealership service department.

Now, based on the advice I received from this thread, we (I) have decided a new 2500 is in order after the first of the year.

On the WD setup, the real question is: What is the difference measured at the front wheel well between the unloaded empty ride height and the ride height with WD set up? While GM has various recomendations, my experience with GM trucks is you want the ride height to be as close to the same as possible, never lower, but maybe 1/4-1/2 inch higher with WD hooked up.

Don't worry about the back.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Jim549

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

On the WD setup, the real question is: What is the difference measured at the front wheel well between the unloaded empty ride height and the ride height with WD set up? While GM has various recomendations, my experience with GM trucks is you want the ride height to be as close to the same as possible, never lower, but maybe 1/4-1/2 inch higher with WD hooked up.

The front of my truck is just a tad over 1/4 inch higher when hooked up to the trailer. It was setup by the dealership and I double checked their setup once I got the trailer home.

Thanks for you comments and help.

Jim

The Haights
Jim & Nancy
Bear (our little furry Shichon)
Home State: Michigan
HOC #3976
2017 Pioneer QB300

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the new truck, it is probably a better tow vehicle for that size trailer. But don't fool yourself, it is still going to ride rough, that 2500 has even stiffer springs (common sense 101 - stiffer springs does not equal smoother ride). That is the nature of the beast.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim549 wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

The front of my truck is just a tad over 1/4 inch higher when hooked up to the trailer. It was setup by the dealership and I double checked their setup once I got the trailer home.

Thanks for you comments and help.

Jim

wow!! good job by the dealer. your's is one of the few that looks to have been set up correctly. I'd stay with the 1/4" high.

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Congratulations on the new truck, it is probably a better tow vehicle for that size trailer. But don't fool yourself, it is still going to ride rough, that 2500 has even stiffer springs (common sense 101 - stiffer springs does not equal smoother ride). That is the nature of the beast.

While my 2500HD rides a bit rougher when not towing than my Tahoe, it rides way better when towing because there's no lurching, bump steering, or porpoising. It is way less tiring to drive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 1500 vs 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS