Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Europe Tour with a Class B. Buy or Rent?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Europe Tour with a Class B. Buy or Rent?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

This may be an option.

While staying at Liberty Harbor, I met a couple from Germany. Their travel plans was to come to the States and buy a B. They would then tour the States and Canada for several months. After their tour they would ship the B from Nova Scotia to Germany. They stated that they could sell the B for more that it cost in the US. They had been doing this several times, ever other year.

I failed to mention that the couple would book passage on the freighter that was transporting the B

Here Rentals are the way to go. Electrics and compliance are already the same as here.
Seeing B's in Europe and the US use the same European chassis( with the exception of Ford Econoline based units) I would be surprised they would be more expensive

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/18 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say rent, based on practical issues like import/export, licensing, documentation, rather than cost. 90 days or less is easy, any longer and you are dealing with EU/Schengen immigration law issues. There are ways to work around the immigration laws, leaving the EU, leaving the Schengen countries within the EU, but you need to be careful to stay legal to avoid fines or deportation.

My experience with camping in Europe is that it is very different from how we RV in the U.S. Most RV parking or campgrounds are primitive, makes our RV style look like "glamping" which is mostly what it is. There are plenty of places where you can park and camp, but electrical hookups are a maybe, our expected full hookups mostly don't exist, European RVs don't hook up to the residential utility systems we expect. Thus a U.S. RV is a bad fit, no place to dump, because you take your toilet cassette to the restroom to dump it.

For six months to a year, EU immigration laws will be much more of an issue than anything to do with differences in RV lifestyles. I've mostly limited my visits to 60 days or less per trip, no more than two trips a year, some of them in and out of Schengen, even in and out of the E.U. with additional visas. It gets tricky, but I've mostly depended on my tour managers to keep track of the nitty gritty. On your own, you have to know the immigration laws, keep track of the details. Going from country to country is not the same as going state to state in the U.S., even with E.U., when you are not an E.U. citizen.

* This post was edited 09/01/18 04:01am by tatest *

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Europe Tour with a Class B. Buy or Rent?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS