cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pumping Diesel in Oregon

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
If I go to a truck stop in Oregon, can I pump my own fuel?

Or can I even use the truck pumps at a Loves, etc?

What are the rules in this wonderful state?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
15 REPLIES 15

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I like to pump my own gas.
Once when going thru Grants Pass Oregon the guy pumping my gas saw I was out of state and was basically begging for a dollar tip for pumping my gas, than in Eastern Oregon I had to wait for the attendant to get off the phone so I decided to do it myself and he got upset, this made me so mad that now when going thru Oregon I fill up just on the other state line and drive right thru, I hope this was not the norm..

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
Snip

As a lifelong Oregonian I can tell you the real reason we voted down self serve several times was to keep the attendant jobs. Only the average number of โ€œ stupidโ€ people here , but we are smart enough to know the gas stations just want to cut cost and jobs and make you their employees... The gas companies always promise 5 cents cheaper gas but if you buy that .. I got a well in Texas Iโ€™ll sell you !!
gas while not cheap is still less than Washington or California.

I agree, this is why in Oregon we keep voting down the oil companies and their attempts to make us work for them for free.

Lived in Portland years ago and worked over in Washington when the oil companies were spending millions in advertising telling people in the state that the fuel prices would drop by 10-15% if they voted in pump your own! The big lie. It's always been a lie. How people wouldn't know that always amazed me after the first two states allowed pump your own and we saw the prices creep up shortly after.

Anyhow, they passed the 'pump your own' bill in Washington state and within 2 weeks, the gas prices jumped to $0.05 over the previous prices, and were over Oregon's prices too. The big gas companies weren't even subtle about it. Boom, higher prices after promising lower prices. No explanation at all. The stations had let go thousands of workers almost immediately after it passed too.

I'll take the Oregon and NJ rules any day. I'm never in a hurry to fuel up anyway, and years ago, if I was, I'd just leave a busy station and go down the street a block or two where the attendant wasn't as busy. Simple. And no gas stains on my clothes.

Most gas stations are independently owned. Very few oil companies own gas stations, so they are not trying to get you to "work for them for free". Also, there is no correlation to pump your own and a sudden rise in gas prices. It's your state taxing the c#@p out of you.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when stations, all, pumped for you, checked the oil and air in tires if you asked and gave green stamps or glasses etc.
The new idea brought to us from German head of Gasoline Retailers Association was corner pricing, self serve, no, free air, no free maps, no checking of oil etc and ...higher prices. Exxon and others own the production, refining export of oil and import of fuels, retail here they sell tons of junk but no service at a high price.
Let them fill it up. When it is 20 degrees and raining snowing I don't want out in it.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:

The increase in fuel costs were probably due to Washington State Taxes. I believe that we have the highest taxes now.

Nope don't think that was the case then, I was there, and following the entire situation and it wasn't new taxes. That's not to say they may not have followed later. It was the callous disregard for honorable business practices by the oil companies at the time as best as I could make out. And that several local news articles agreed with.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
Snip

As a lifelong Oregonian I can tell you the real reason we voted down self serve several times was to keep the attendant jobs. Only the average number of โ€œ stupidโ€ people here , but we are smart enough to know the gas stations just want to cut cost and jobs and make you their employees... The gas companies always promise 5 cents cheaper gas but if you buy that .. I got a well in Texas Iโ€™ll sell you !!

I agree, this is why in Oregon we keep voting down the oil companies and their attempts to make us work for them for free.

Lived in Portland years ago and worked over in Washington when the oil companies were spending millions in advertising telling people in the state that the fuel prices would drop by 10-15% if they voted in pump your own! The big lie. It's always been a lie. How people wouldn't know that always amazed me after the first two states allowed pump your own and we saw the prices creep up shortly after.

Anyhow, they passed the 'pump your own' bill in Washington state and within 2 weeks, the gas prices jumped to $0.05 over the previous prices, and were over Oregon's prices too. The big gas companies weren't even subtle about it. Boom, higher prices after promising lower prices. No explanation at all. The stations had let go thousands of workers almost immediately after it passed too.

I'll take the Oregon and NJ rules any day. I'm never in a hurry to fuel up anyway, and years ago, if I was, I'd just leave a busy station and go down the street a block or two where the attendant wasn't as busy. Simple. And no gas stains on my clothes.

The increase in fuel costs were probably due to Washington State Taxes. I believe that we have the highest taxes now.
Wildmanbaker

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
People in Oregon and New Jersey were thought to STUPID to pump their own gas:o. Hence the laws that prohibit pumping your own gas in those states. Doug

Apparently people outside of Oregon have some challenges as well.... Specifically, grammar. It's "too" not "to."

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
Snip

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel at truck pumps must be pumped by you in Oregon just like everywhere. At the gas pump itโ€™s mix as itโ€™s legal for you to pump a combustible but most regular stations will pump it for you as they already pump gas.
The price in Oregon truck pumps is public utility commission ( PUC) price no tax as Oregon charges a per mile tax on trucks instead . The pump should be smart enough to charge tax if you donโ€™t enter your puc number so the answer is yes ( in most cases ) Buying diesel without the tax or a fake number is not advised !

Bill

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œFunny thing though gasoling is cheaper in Oregon that either California...โ€

Don, nothing is cheaper in my fair state.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
People in Oregon and New Jersey were thought to STUPID to pump their own gas:o. Hence the laws that prohibit pumping your own gas in those states. Doug

I have traveled all over. No state has a monopoly on stupid or smart either.

And I was asking specifically about Diesel at truck pumps.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
:?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
People in Oregon and New Jersey were thought to STUPID to pump their own gas:o. Hence the laws that prohibit pumping your:) own gas in those states. Doug

Funny thing though gasoling is cheaper in Oregon that either California or Washington states.

I don't like having to wait for some sullen attendant to pump my gas in NJ, and I often get out and pump it myself. It is, however, cheaper to buy gas in NJ than PA or NY.

Oh, by the way, we may be too stupid to pump gas, but we can spell three letter words!:)

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Funny thing though gasoling is cheaper in Oregon that either California or Washington states.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad