Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Windows 10
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from Win 7 to Win 10 and it seems it takes forever after I turn it on until I can use it. Gives me all these dumb pictures and ask if I like them. Win 7 took way less time.
Is there any way to make it use less time?

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we updated to WIN10 a couple of years or so ago we did two WIN 7 and two WIN8.1 all four laptops...

Took a long time as I recall getting them redone but after all finished they work click click click... No problems like you are describing at all...

We also just redid another WIN7 laptop a couple of months ago that ended up with a cracked screen. It is now on WIN10 and I am running it with a remote monitor just fine. No problems with this changeover as well... All run's CLICK CLICK CLICK

We really didn't do anything except start the action and it did all the things it needed to do by its self...

I think maybe a redo for WIN10 might be in order. That would get rid of any virus you may have picked up causing this...

Roy Ken
[image]

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

Gives me all these dumb pictures and ask if I like them. Win 7 took way less time.

Nothing like that on my Win-10 systems. What version of Win-10 is on your system? (type winver into the search box and click on winver.exe when it shows up).

I think I am on the latest version and it is:

[image]

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got rid of Win8 - hated it.

Bought a 1Tb SSD and Win 10.
It boots in about 7 seconds. Never timed it but it's something like that.

Get a good SSD. It makes a huge difference in not only boot speed but running stuff like MS office and more.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only get that on the computer that does not have a password and only after it goes to sleep. My other computer requires a password and does not do that, but I have a custom wallpaper on it. Both are version 1803. When I get the "like what you see?" screen I just hit enter and I'm ready to go.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 01:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my WIN 10 PCs boot faster than WIN 7. Could be an issue with a service, or device driver hangup upon startup?

You may want to take a look at your Event Viewer logs for errors?

ReadyToGo

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search on win10 do you like what you see
This is most likely a Spotlight issue. Easily fixed.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

Win 7 took way less time.
Is there any way to make it use less time?

The question part has been answered; A hard drive upgrade to a SSD (Solid State Device) will reduce boot up time to just a few seconds.
There are upgrade kits available - just do a search for your computer upgrade and remember to use YouTube for help.

To address the complaint part of your post; During the upgrade to Win 10 you probably accepted the upgrade default settings. That's probably why you're seeing pictures. It is unlikely that its a virus problem.

Upgrading to a SSD is the most satisfying action - the speed is amazing compared to the older spinning hard drives.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The picture options you are seeing on startup is a feature called Windows Spotlight. If you wish to disable, simply right click on your desktop, select "personalize", select "lock screen" from the option down the left-hand side, select "picture" from the dropdown box.
This may speed up your startup a little.
Perhaps your startup is slow because Windows is downloading an update? I've noticed that over the last year or so, there have been many more updates, mostly to do with security.
If you are usually on a slower connection, you could postpone updates by changing you connection settings to "metered" which will only allow critical system updates to download. Others will be postponed until you log into a faster connection. To do this go to setting, select "Network and Internet", select "Status", select "Change Connection Properties", scroll down to "Metered Connections", turn "Set as Metered Connection" on.
Good Luck, hope this helps..

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windows vrsion 1803--------same as yours.
Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS