Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Windows 10
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do i go about getting a SSD HD installed?

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Win 10, version 1803 on both laptops and the boot time is pretty fast. You may want to check your startup programs in task mgr and disable any unnecessary ones. That should help quite a bit.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

It's easy to do (there are videos online about how to do it on any device) but I would not recommend it if you have never opened up a laptop. If you buy your SSD from Amazon, they offer installation and data transfer from just over $100.00. Following is example for SSD in my laptop (mine already has an SSD).

[image]

Or any local computer shop can do it.

But, yes SSDs are faster but most windows slowdown issues are updating in the background, Windows degradation over time, or malware in my experience.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also suggest turning off update sharing to other PCs. Go to...settings...update and security...advanced options...delivery optimization...turn off allow downloads from other PCs. This will turn off data sharing to the internet and may help with your speeds.

2006 Durango HEMI Equal-i-zer
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

Although this process is simple to do, there are a few things you have to follow.

To put it into layman's terms, you are changing your data storage device, or hard drive.

Your entire operating system, programs, data, everything is all stored there.
Therefore, you have to make a complete backup of the entire thing before you install the SSD.

The physical act of swapping out your standard hard drive to a Solid State Drive is easy and fast. On the bottom of the laptop are a number of various screws holding things together. A couple of them will open access to the hard drive. It should be marked on it so you know which piece to remove. Once the door is off, the drive is right there. You may have to remove a screw holding it in place. From there it's a matter of lifting it out, unplugging it from the connector as you do it, and plugging the new SSD back in and putting the access door back on.

An important step to remember is to unplug the laptop and remove the battery for doing this!

Then the fun begins, restoring your operating system and data.
There are a few ways to do this, keeping in mind you need to have a means of putting your backup on to the new drive. There are various apps or programs to achieve this.

I like to keep a USB backup drive for handling things like this and also for keeping copies of important data, such as photos. I have 3 of them I use. Everyone should have one and use it.

As mentioned, if you've never done this and are leary of opening your laptop, pay the fee and take it to a reputable place to have it professionally done. It's worth it.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, I would check that there are no 'errors' during WIN 10 startup in Event logs before installing SSD. If there is something causing your system to hang on boot, installing an SSD is not going to speed up the startup process.

I say this as you indicated that WIN 7 was so much faster? This could be a red flag that something is not current or supported in your particular WIN 10 install? A Service or device driver?

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

If you go to Youtube there are many video's that show you step by step how to do it on a laptop, sometimes even the exact one you own. If you buy a Samsung SSD, you start by installing Samsung wizard software which will copy a mirror image of your mechanical drive over to the SSD via a USB adapter. Once this is done you disassemble the laptop, install the SSD, then it will boot right up. Best Buy an others sell the USB adapter as it's not included with the Samsung SSD.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you install a new drive by cloning the existing drive you will have the same problem you started with. First you need to figure out the cause of your problem. A couple things you can do to speed boot time is to use hibernate or sleep rather than shut down.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Task manager has already been mentioned. Common CPU hogs are backup software, antivirus, VPN, and of course Win updates. One other thing you can do is get rid of the bloatware by installing a program like PC Decraptifier which cleans it out. Another program which is rated tops in it's category is System Mechanic(the one from iolo only). I have it and it cleans and tweaks the settings for best performance. I was skeptical at first, but it has won me over. I just read an article yesterday that said bloatware is responsible for 40% of the slowdown on startup. When all else fails, you could buy a Windows computer from Microsoft called "Signature Edition PC's" which have no bloatware. No bloatware is also an advantage of Mac's and Chromebooks. These days it seems computer maintenance takes up more time than RV or house maintenance.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 03:33pm by T18skyguy *

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 wrote:

All my WIN 10 PCs boot faster than WIN 7. Could be an issue with a service, or device driver hangup upon startup?

You may want to take a look at your Event Viewer logs for errors?

Here is what it shows.
Error 7/8/2018 3:42:55 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/8/2018 12:58:52 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/7/2018 10:25:03 PM Kernel-EventTracing 3 Session
Error 7/7/2018 2:45:32 PM CAPI2 513 None
Error 7/7/2018 12:35:28 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/7/2018 12:35:25 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/7/2018 12:35:23 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/7/2018 12:35:10 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/7/2018 12:33:13 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/6/2018 11:00:55 PM AppModel-Runtime 69 None
Error 7/6/2018 10:32:28 PM Kernel-EventTracing 3 Session
Error 7/6/2018 6:40:15 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS