Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for running the right RPMs for getting all the performance you can out of that engine.

Our home is at 2,300' and during the summer we're towing up to 7,000'-10,000' to escape the hat. I'm able to pull and accelerate at those high altitudes "IF" I'm in the right gear and the motor is in the sweet spot.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

jkilroy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

jkilroy wrote:

I’m towing a 7500 lb. Cougar 28SGS. The truck I have is a 03 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 with 4.10 rear.

One more thing on this engine. When towing hard like you're doing, you will eventually snap exhaust manifold bolts. Usually it's not if, but when this finally happens. I don't know the reason why, but it's very common on the 5.3L and 6.0L engines when used for towing.

Most often it's the bolts on the front and rear cylinders on either side. It happened to mine and I decided to just let a shop do the work. I also bought stainless shorty headers to get a little better exhaust flow. The shop charged $350 to remove the old manifolds, extract the broken bolts, and install the new headers. This did not give me a boost in HP, but I did find the engine revved a little quicker. With the headers when I gave it throttle climbing a hill it seemed to jump into that 3500RPM and higher range a little earlier than with the manifolds which translated to a slightly easier climb.

KJ

I already replaced the broken manifold bolts. I have some shorty headers I need to install yet. Once I get the cooling problem fixed I will give the higher rpm a try. Just dosent seem right, but I’ve have enough input to trust to try it. Will save me from buying a diesel in the short term.

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS">
Pennsylvania Air National Guard">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS