cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep brake lights not working/Blue Ox system

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
We’re in a very remote area with limited access to si-fi. I searched the forums but couldn’t find the answer to what is probably a simple issue.

We have a Sunseeker motorhome, towing a 2012 Jeep Erangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox system. Never had a problem for past five years. All of a sudden, the brake lights won’t come on the Jeep when we hook up to tow. I tried a brand-new connecting cable but that didn’t fix the issue. Currently checking fuses.

Welcome suggestions. Thanks!!!
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.
7 REPLIES 7

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a test light and turn on the left turn signal with the toad cord plugged into the back of the MH test each plug hole to see if your getting power to the toad should be one of the two lower plug holes if the bar for outside of the plug is on the top. Then do the same with the Right turn signal. If they work the problem is on the toad side could be just a ground problem.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
All really good advice so far. But, even if it was a fuse, why would BOTH brake lights go out at the same time? About 99.99999% of the trailer connectors on 99.99999% of the motorhomes/trucks/space ships etc. have:

1. Right turn/brake
2. Left turn/brake
3. Tail/marker
4. Ground

.... And so on. I can see one side (brake light AND turn signal since they're the same signal at the trailer connector) but, both at the same exact time? I'm by far, not the sharpest tool in the shed so, I could be really blind as to what you're suggesting. I do know about the pin thing where, those pins collapse a bit and, one needs to get into them and pry them apart just a scoch so they make a better contact with the female counterparts inside the other half of the connector. I had a problem just like that in setting up a buddies Jeep for towing. Took a bit of head scratching on that one.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the OP finds out is the problem.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What type of connector one MH? What type of umbilical cord? Any adapters?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

A1B00902
Explorer
Explorer
check the male end of the cord to the jeep,
as you may have to pry the prongs open a little
You should be able to see if they are pressed tight, there should be a small gap

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, on a Ford chassis.
Verify with a meter or test light to see if you aregetting power to the turn signal locations on connector.
Does the turn signals worK? If yes, then not likely to be fuse but possible.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
Does it make sense for it to be a problem with the fuses?
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ford chassis has separate fuses for the trailer connector.
Look in chassis manual for exact location. Believe under hood driver's side.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow