cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Setting up Chevy Equinox for flat towing

rbreak
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a 2017 Chevy Equinox that I am setting up to flat tow behind the motor home. For the lights, I am using the separate bulb system that bypasses the cars electrical system. But, the Equinox does not have a typical brake light switch down on the brake pedal lever that would allow me to tap a relay into, to block the cars lights from activating when the supplemental brake system depresses the brake pedal. Being that these Equinox and Terrain vehicles have been popular toad vehicles for several years, I expected a simple google search to reveal plenty of solutions. Surprisingly I can't find any information for this situation. I even talked to a tech at etrailer and he admitted they didn't have an solid answers for this question. He said there "might" be a fuse for the tail lights that could be pulled, but I haven't found anything about this while searching. The key will be in the acc/accessory position while being towed, will the lights not activate in this condition? I figure as many people tow these vehicles (I see them being towed all the time), somebody must know what needs (if anything) to be done. At this point, I am considering simply disconnecting the electrical plugs at the tail lights when towing. Thanks in advance for any help or information.
2008 Winnebago Access 29T
Class C w/Ford Chassis
10 REPLIES 10

rbreak
Explorer
Explorer
For a follow up, we completed our trip and returned home this weekend. The first leg was a 10 hour drive from Florida to western S.C. I had the #32 fuse in the cabin fuse box left in and pulled the #16 fuse in the engine bay fuse box (this is the "new" way after some people had a death wobble experience pulling the #32 fuse, which leaves the electronic steering not energized). I also left the vehicles tail lights in place, hoping the charge line would keep the battery charged. After driving for several hours and stopping for gas in the motor home, I started the equinox to circulate the transmission fluid. It started, but sounded a little weak at start up. I drove several more hours, and at the next fuel stop, the battery was completely dead. I pulled the tail light covers and disconnected the bulbs and jump started the car to let it run for a few minutes. The next stop was our destination in S.C. The car started, but again seemed a little weak when starting. The next day we continued on our next leg of the trip to middle Tennessee. At the first stop, the battery was dead again, even with the tail light bulbs pulled. I jumped the car again to run it, and then we continued on to our campground in TN. So, after camping for a week, I knew when we left to come home I would have the same situation if I didn't change something. So I decided to try the "old" way of towing the equinox by leaving the #16 fuse in and pulling the #32 fuse and taking my chances with the death wobble that some have experienced. It worked great, no death wobble and no dead battery. I don't know why it didn't work the first way, when I checked the charge line it was putting 12 volts to the battery from the motor home (I have no idea about the amps though). One thing to note, our car has the built in wifi system, so it is using whatever volatge is required to power up that system. I don't know what else would be causing the drain other than possibly the electronic steering system being energized with the #32 fuse left in? Anyway, I will continue towing with the #32 fuse pulled and take my chances with the death wobble, which sounds like a rare occurrence. Thanks for any responses or info.
Class C w/Ford Chassis

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I went from Fishing Bridge to Trinidad Colorado last July and my Equinox started. I did not take the time in Laramie to start it at a fill up. We had a death in the family and made a quick return. Otherwise I would not drive that many anymore.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
The load of your brake lights cannot overpower your charge line. My Equinox does not have a charge line and the brake lights and the compressor on my brake actuator have never run my battery down.

Mebbe, but the OP stated they were doing 10 hour trips. My max is 5 and the norm is 4.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The load of your brake lights cannot overpower your charge line. My Equinox does not have a charge line and the brake lights and the compressor on my brake actuator have never run my battery down.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rbreak
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to tap into the existing wiring with a diode system. I have used the separate bulb system on previous toads with good results. But I don't want the cars' brake lights coming on every time the brake pedal is depressed by the supplemental brake system. I do have a charge line installed, but I don't know how well a charge line will keep up with a set of brakes lights coming on many times over a 10 hour long trip.
It still appears there are no known solutions to keeping the cars' lights from activating?
Class C w/Ford Chassis

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I just wired mine with diodes. If I were running separate lights, I'd just install wireless magnetic light bars on the back of the toad.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
For the existing bulbs you need to have the voltages isolated from each others ECU (computer) and I accomplished that with diodes. The bulbs do not care where their voltages originate.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Why not just use the cars existing lights .

with all the computers/et.al. involved in a modern vehicles wiring,I wouldn't want to taP INTO IT MYSELF.bumpy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just use the cars existing lights? On my Sonic, I had CW install the tow package, so I really donโ€™t know all involved. Connect the cord between the MH and car, turn signals, brakes, all work using existing lights. I also installed a switch to disable the fuse Chevy manual said to remove.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why don't you want your vehicle lights to come on?
bumpy