cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of changing to 5th wheel.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a rather nice 24ft 5th wheel at the campground. Rear Living is pretty cool! Curious of just light these trailer can actually go. Mainly because I'm curious if my 1/2ton Tacoma 6v could handle one? It's my TV for the TT right now.
Tent to Pop-up to 5th wheel, currently without and wanting...
19 REPLIES 19

CA_STORM
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
No

X2

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a Cougar 25RKS with our Chevy 2500HD.

A full 1/2 ton truck would be working hard to do this. A Tacoma? That would be a very bad Idea as other have posted.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

IS there even a FW hitch for a Taco? Short of homebuilt...

They do make mid-size hitch rails, the hitches are universal.

No, the bed of a Tacoma built after 2007 is a composite material. This means NO universal hitch will fit. Itโ€™s nice people are trying to help and advise, just sometimes not with a clue on what theyโ€™re advising.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle

They do make mid-size hitch rails, the hitches are universal.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers will sell you anything towed by anything. The answer is a flat no. The most I towed with a Tundra was 7800 lb Arctic fox low profile 5th wheel. I was at the top of the trucks capability, 'though it proved it could handle the load. The Tacoma is even less able to handle that weight. Look into Travel trailers instead.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
I see miss matches quite often, a Tacoma with a fifth wheel would also be one.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If you read your Tacomaโ€™s ownerโ€™s manual you will see that Toyota does not recommend towing a fifth wheel or goose neck trailer with a Tacoma. Besides, nobody makes a 5th wheel hitch for your Tacoma. Itโ€™s obvious that many on here are unfamiliar with the Tacoma. And thatโ€™s all I have to say about that.
Page 231 of a 2014 Tacoma owners manual:
Fifth wheel and gooseneck towing TWR*
Toyota does not recommend fifth wheel and gooseneck towing.
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
At one time, we pulled a fifth wheel with our 1/2 ton Ford, but I had it built and spec'd it out with max tow and the HD package. It upped the payload to over 2300 lbs. It was GREAT and I miss that truck.

I would NEVER suggest someone attempt to tow with a smaller 1/2 ton and I'm not sure that a Tundra could be bumped up enough to get enough payload to pull a fifth wheel.l
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. I just got settled in for the night and checked here. My feeling was the Tacoma is too light, but needed to check with you folks first. Much more research to do, yet you have given me a great start!
Tent to Pop-up to 5th wheel, currently without and wanting...

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Olddawgsrule wrote:
I just saw a rather nice 24ft 5th wheel at the campground. Rear Living is pretty cool! Curious of just light these trailer can actually go. Mainly because I'm curious if my 1/2ton Tacoma 6v could handle one? It's my TV for the TT right now.

Contrary to what some have said....yes there are some (very few) 5er's that your Toy can haul. 90's era 24' and shorter unit were designed to be pulled by mid-size trucks. Lance, Shadow Cruiser, and a few others made some very lite 5ers. I've looked into them for my Ranger and if you do the proper research you can find one in good condition for a decent price...and they will tow SO MUCH BETTER than a TT.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve not seen a 5th wheel hitch for a Tacoma as it has the plastic bed and wasnโ€™t meant to tow a fiver. If youโ€™re serious about getting a 5th wheel, get a bigger truck. You will be limited in 5th wheels with a 1500 or 150 truck, too. The 24โ€™ youโ€™re looking at should work OK though with a real 1/2 Ton; 1500 or 150 or even a Tundra.
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird above has a good suggestion..
but, the Escape has a 'wet bath', small holding tanks, no slide, and the bedroom is very tight.

Also, you mentioned you are interested in a rear lounge floor plan...??
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I will say yes... but you have to be careful and choose wisely.

This is my choice of fifth wheel for you. You will likely need wider mirrors on your Tacoma, but this should work for you.

Escape Fifth Wheel

They are beautiful little fifth wheel units, and not inexpensive either. Choose wisely. I often say, "buy what someone else will want".
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel