cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jerky while towing

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a Wildwood with an F150. The Wildwood is 4600 pounds. I made sure before buying I would be well within my capacity for both towing and payload. I have only been out 4 times with it and most were about an hour drive except for a six hour drive to Gatkinburg.

Sometimes when I am towing it is really jerky. Other times I don't even notice it back there. We always travel with relatively the same amount of gear. I always hook it up the same. I did notice when I push the tow button on the 150 it gets worse.

Any ideas on the problem. I have a friction sway bar. Could having that turned too tight cause it?
20 REPLIES 20

billroz
Explorer
Explorer
Adjust wd bars

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
facory wrote:
You can buy a clamp that clamps the receiver and hitch together to eliminate all play. It eliminates the noise too. I have been using one for years and wouldn't be without it.

I also have used a Hitch Vise when carrying my bike in a carrier on the back of my truck or pulling a utility trailer. They do not work with a weight distributing hitch however and they are not needed there as the WD spring bars keep the shank pulled to the top of the receiver almost all the time. The only exception would be where you go over a RR crossing or other "bump" that causes the spring bars to unload.

The Hitch Vise or shims probably would not help the OP as I don't think shank movement is causing his situation. It sounds to me more like trailer tongue weight, not enought WD, or just bouncy pavement. Pushing the "tow button" on the truck would have nothing to do with the problem IMO.

If the problem is occuring only when stopping or starting, I would check the small bolt under the ball on the bottom, trailer side of the hitch between the WD bar sockets. This helps keep the hitch head locked in the proper tilt position and tends to loosen up after a bit of time. It should be checked every time time you tow.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

facory
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a clamp that clamps the receiver and hitch together to eliminate all play. It eliminates the noise too. I have been using one for years and wouldn't be without it.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
cgconrad004e, It is not your TV. There are lots of variables when it comes to this issue. Loading the trailer might be one. If you remove weight from the hitch as you would by loading heavy stuff behind the axles, you can get into trouble. This usually shows up as trailer sway. Your hitch could be a problem if it is an older one with parts starting to wear.

The receiver on your TV can and usually will wear to the point where the stinger can move around a bit. I had a new '08 Tundra and after about 7 or 8 years mine developed a bit of slop. I noticed it when starting out from a stop as I would hear and feel a "clunk" when the stinger moved back against the pin. I looked into a fix and there are a few out there. The shims mentioned earlier work but they wear out quickly and have to be replaced. There are after market fixes you can find on line. You can also go into a hitch service and they can weld bead into your hitch opening which will firm things up.

Being your typical lazy American, I just got a new truck. Actually, the hitch wasn't my only reason.....:B
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

cgconrad004e
Explorer
Explorer
I'm experiencing the same issue; and this has caused a bit of skepticism with the camper & vehicle purchase; 21' travel trailer (4800# dry weight) and a used Toyota Sequoia as a pull vehicle. Most of the jerkiness is at about the 35mph & 55mph speeds. Very little issue while braking. Uses a weight distribution hitch. Not sure if I am loading the camper incorrectly, or an issue with the hitching, or if I should have purchased a different tow vehicle.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
You should adjust the electric brake. Too much brake and it will be uneven and jerk. Back off until you have a smooth stop.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
The cure for slop in the receiver calls for cracking open a cold one, enjoying it in the shade, then getting out the tin snips and making the beer can into a shim so the ball carrier doesnโ€™t have so much space to bang around in.

Wow! I never thought of this easy solution! I think I'll try it.... um.... that is .... the beer! Forget the hitch! :B

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The cure for slop in the receiver calls for cracking open a cold one, enjoying it in the shade, then getting out the tin snips and making the beer can into a shim so the ball carrier doesnโ€™t have so much space to bang around in.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is always some play in the receiver.

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
In regards to movement of the hitch shaft inside the receiver, if I grab a hold of my hitch ball and shake it, there is definiite movement. Side to side particularly. Should this not occur?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope I am never anywhere close to you with my family aboard, while your towing along chawing on jerky, which is inattentive driving. Oh the humanity.

On a serious note.....don't get caught up into the myth of " I dont even know its back there". Well it is back there, and your going to know it. When someone posts " I dont know its back there" is usually when I stop reading. Thats just forum BS. I can tow a 750 lb log splitter or mortar mixer with an F450 and know its back there.

Feeling jerking and other feedback is normal. As long as your not developing sway, especially going downhill while coasting, or not getting some type of excessive jerking or bounce all the time to the point your feeling it hard in the steering, go with it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
be sure you have the right sized ball for you hitch, make sure all bolts and nuts are tight to manufacture specs , make sure hitch pin is the correct size, make sure there is no movement in the receiver shaft

neilnbe
Explorer
Explorer
Generally a trailer will feel jerky if there isn't enough weight distributed to the hitch. When a trailer hits a bump it pulls back on the truck giving it a jerk. If you follow someone who doesn't have enough weight on the hitch you'll see the trailer swaying back and forth as well. Try moving more weight to the front of the trailer to get the ratio correct.
Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you better define the jerking? Is it fore/aft jerking as if the engine can't maintain constant power? Is the truck bouncing up and down at the hitch? Is there much bounce in the trailer? Is there left/right jerking? Newer or older F150? What tire pressure are you running on the TT and truck? Have you got the TT level to slightly nose down? Have you got the correct amount of weight transferred onto the steer axle? What spring bar rating and what brand/type is the WDH? Is there excessive hitch play? Is it a new/newer TT? Or maybe it's a combination of above factors? Have you been to a scale to see what actual weights are fully loaded up for camping?