Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: E450 Alignment with FOUR Degree Adjustable Bushings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> E450 Alignment with FOUR Degree Adjustable Bushings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

.... One of them wouldn't stay in place and would slowly change the alignment setting.....

Now that concerns me. My adjustable sleeves are so rusted I cannot imagine how they would ever rotate. How you managed to detect the movement AND execute your fix is impressive.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard the "shops" don't like adjustables, which is why I've asked here.

Hendersons is emphatic that if the adjustable bushings are installed and torqued properly, they won't come loose in RV service.

Remembered one OP who'd had a problem with them, and pauldub is apparently that OP.

Do you happen to remember what your Settings were on the Bushings, and what Caster/Camber they produced? As I mentioned before, the 4* range interests me because I don't have a way of knowing where the angles will be when I get the springs installed. I don't want to need 3* and only have 2* bushings!

What I'm wondering is if the 4* is more likely to slip like that than the 2*...?

Or just the Luck of the Draw?

The same bushings fit many Fords, maybe even some Dodges. That said, some of the manufacturers don't recommend them for "commercial, RV, box truck, dual wheels, etc. Others specifically say "E450" and there are no E450's with single rear wheels, so that tells me those manufacturers aren't concerned with loosening.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bushing that moved on me was set at the max angle. I did install a new pinch bolt and re-torqued it but it moved again so that's when I decided to pin it in place. Not much rust here in the west to help it not move.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you set it for Max Caster (was that 4*?) and Zero Camber?

How'd it drive that way?

Did the Inner slip within the Outer? What did you do when you pinned it? I can picture drilling and tapping for a 1/4" screw and then grinding the protruding pieces off...

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set the bushing for max correction on the passenger side and then gave up a little caster to get the needed camber. I didn't need as much correction on the driver side and that side didn't rotate on me. I don't recall if the inner moved relative to the outer or if the whole thing moved. To pin it, I drilled through the two bushings in situ. I pounded in a pin that was a slight interference fit. The pin is in the pinch slot so the difference in the diameter of the pin versus the width of the slot is all that it can now move.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> E450 Alignment with FOUR Degree Adjustable Bushings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS