Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: complete build, good setup? questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> complete build, good setup? questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant - don't be sorry, I don't view this as a hijacking. Li is a new technology, manufacturers are not very helpful, not much info on their sites. 30-90% is the way to go. 40-60% when in prolonged storage without cycling.

It sounds like Magnum has very informative display and critical point protection, but keeping Li batts in 30-90 is still left to users, i.e. keeping an eye on it.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is some seriously helpful information coming in here. due to a family emergency still ongoing, this is slightly on hold for now but I will still check in on replies and of course it can help others so lets keep it coming!

thank you so much everyone!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This link gives "access denied" message!

Itinerant1 wrote:

During the period of June 16-20 overcast/ rainy days is where Lifepo4 shows their stuff. June 15 started the evening 99%, June 21 back to 99%.

2018 PT data

Mako Kupa sorry for the hijack

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should open now.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

Itinerant - don't be sorry, I don't view this as a hijacking. Li is a new technology, manufacturers are not very helpful, not much info on their sites. 30-90% is the way to go. 40-60% when in prolonged storage without cycling.

It sounds like Magnum has very informative display and critical point protection, but keeping Li batts in 30-90 is still left to users, i.e. keeping an eye on it.

Other than the readings I record off of the displays it truly has been a set it and forget system. System being the key word.
Having programmable charging sources is much better.

I agree when looking at mfgs web sites they are lite on indepth info other than generic answers of 14.4-14.6 should work or agm settings are alright.

It seems that the drop in batteries need the 14.4 -.6 for their bms to reset SoC/ cell balance. A lower 14.0-14.2v for would be better for longevity without pushing the knee.

The elite GBS that I'm using stays pretty accurate as far as SoC over the past 27 months.
I emailed them about required voltage for accuracy and this was their response.

"The EMS system has a minimum recorded resolution of +/- 0.5A so any current below that level is not accounted for. The system could be setup for a finer resolution, but the shunt value would have to be reduced which reduces the systems maximum current capability. 

The system will reset the capacity to 100% whenever the pack voltage reaches 3.49 to 3.52 V/cell on average, depending on how it was programmed, and the pack current must be negative (charging) and typically under 35A and then it will set the capacity to 100%. Again, these are all firmware variables  so it's possible your system was programmed differently. You should continue charging after this point until the battery truly is full to have the reference point of 100% be correct. 

If you have many small loads that are not accounted for then you would occasionally need to re-sync the pack with 100%. The frequency at which you have to do this will vary depending on your application and usage."

Regards,
Rick Suiter
Elite Power Solutions LLC

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so in using my yeti 1400 lithium(still happy with it especially at the price I paid for it, Black Friday WIN @ $1300 with 144AH lithium built in), I'm trying to figure out if my panels are at full efficiency. of course, I could clip some wires and probably eliminate a ton of wiring in general, I threw my panels up there in a hurry and I'm sure I can optimize it better. in fact, as soon as I can climb up on top again(no ladder anymore), ill take pictures and ask you guys for tips. also, I have cheap mc4 to Anderson power pole adapters(yeti inputs) that get hot as HECK when getting a lot of charge. I imagine replacing with thicker wires and shortening them will help quite a bit.

in full sun, my 800w (I have 850, but my 24" wifi extender casts a shadow on a 50w panel, so I leave it disconnected for now) brings in at most a little over 400w. it does not tell amp input sadly, I need an ammeter. the yeti 1400 has BOTH Pwm and mppt controllers. I have 550w(1x 150w, 3x 100w, and 2x 50w) going through the mppt controller, and 250w(1x 150w, 1x 100w) going through the pwm.

overnight, I drain down to about 70% with my fridge, fantastic fan running, and devices charging. the batteries are full at or before 10:30AM summer. whats wonderful is the yeti actually stops the charging at the right time, and if you deplete it to 0%, its still actually at around 15-20% according to goal zero. I'm not sure about overcharging. of course, the yeti will soon only be backup power encase something fails.

itinerant - do you have a link/list of your complete setup of all parts? it'd be extremely helpful. thank you all!

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

*Elite-GBS 500ah 12v lithium batteries package
EMS Sense Board(s)
1- EMS CPU with Custom RV Programming
1- CPU Harness Cable
1- 500 Amp 50mv Shunt
2- 400 Amp Solenoids, high efficiency coil 
1- 7” TFT LCD Video Display
1- Video Extension Cable
1- lot Fuses, Fuse holder, Switches, Connectors
1- System Control Panel, Wiring Diagram, Photos, Manuals, Safety Information

*8 CTI 160 watt panels_ 2 in series, 4 sets parallel (flat mounted) to junction box
*Magnum PT100 controller
*Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter with ME-ARC 50
*100amp AC sub panel - everything in the 5th wheel except the water heater is running through the inverter.
*10/2, 8/2, 6/2 wire, 3/0 cable
*Manual trip 48v DC breakers - 50a (solar in), 120a (solar out)
[image]

The 2 display (this was using microwave, fridge, misc item), 7" display showing battery info/ 20 cells info
[image]

[image]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1,

Very wonderful system you have.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't feel bad saying this picture confused the heck out of me. I have only ever seen a real solar setup in my head, and on paper. I know where everything goes, and what it does, but seeing it together like that gives me a headache. thats a magnum mppt, do you think it'd be worth it for such a small application? I do eventually plan to buy a cabin, and using solar there and of course would need bigger capacity.

I know what these things do
-charge controller
-Inverter
-panels
-batteries
-monitor
-Inline fuses

the rest of it is new to me for the most part. I know what solenoids do but I didn't know they were used in solar setups. whats the point of the screen? doesn't a proper battery monitor do the same thing, or is it just for convenience? I think smart phone apps with the victron batteries/controllers do the same thing as the monitor, but you have to open the app and naturally since its an app, somehow uses wifi or bluetooth to communicate. a dedicated monitor would be excellent.

the big one confusing me is the CPU. you have an actual cpu running your RV systems? thanks for the picture and labels, made picturing it much easier but I still am scratchig my head.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

*Elite-GBS 500ah 12v lithium batteries package
EMS Sense Board(s)
1- EMS CPU with Custom RV Programming
1- CPU Harness Cable
1- 500 Amp 50mv Shunt
2- 400 Amp Solenoids, high efficiency coil 
1- 7” TFT LCD Video Display
1- Video Extension Cable
1- lot Fuses, Fuse holder, Switches, Connectors
1- System Control Panel, Wiring Diagram, Photos, Manuals, Safety Information

*8 CTI 160 watt panels_ 2 in series, 4 sets parallel (flat mounted) to junction box
*Magnum PT100 controller
*Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter with ME-ARC 50
*100amp AC sub panel - everything in the 5th wheel except the water heater is running through the inverter.
*10/2, 8/2, 6/2 wire, 3/0 cable
*Manual trip 48v DC breakers - 50a (solar in), 120a (solar out)
[image]

The 2 display (this was using microwave, fridge, misc item), 7" display showing battery info/ 20 cells info
[image]

[image]

you seem extremely knowledgable, and also willing to help. would it be too much for me to ask you what you would recommend as a whole setup? if you crunch the numbers, I use roughly 30% in 12 hours of 144ah, which is 86ah/day give or take. that is also with what I'm currently using, some of which will change.

I have the panels, 850w worth of 12v, and need everything else. at this point I am truly unsure of one particular part, if I need it or not. naturally, an inverter will give me 120v from 12v, but how do I get 12v from 12v? sounds stupid, but I don't know where id hardwire my 12v devices to. of course, victron, magnum, or battle born can tell me this but I am currently sitting in a hospice room all week, not about to call these places here.

I think I put together a decent build, but haven't had the time to call viltron or battle born to ask them what they think. id need the batteries, and less AH is fine if I have that much more control and information. id LOVE to see the health of each cell, and I know viltron batteries do this. the price difference is substantial though, 950 for the battle born and 1250 for the equivalent (AH) Victron. but, each victron has individual cell monitoring for Temp and voltage, and are also prismatic cells vs cylindrical(BB).

it may be worth the trade off, yes? since I might be spending the next 10 years in this motorhome until I buy a home.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> complete build, good setup? questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS