Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Room slide out stops and starts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Room slide out stops and starts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 20018 Montana Mountaineer. When I took a trip recently the slide outs halt for a few seconds and then continue, this will happen a few times until all slides are in/out. It never starts/stops at the same place and it happens on all three slides.

I don't see lights Dim or anything else that make it seem as if there is. I also checked the ATF fluid and topped it off to be sure. But the problem still exists.

Anyone have any idea on what can cause this?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the 12 volt wiring at the HYd pump motor and make sure the cables are tight. Check the wiring from the Pump motor to its source both neg and Pos. Also, have someone operated the slides and take a 12 volt measurement AT the hyd motor and see if the voltage drops below 12 volts when running. Some Hyd and electric slides use a auto reset 12 volt breaker. If bad or loose connection they will trip and reset within a few seconds. If this has happened since new, they may have installed the wrong size breaker for the slide system. Doug

dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did check the voltage, it is about 13.5v without running and runs just over 12v when the pump runs.

When the slides stop the voltage drops to 0v and then comes right back up and the slides start moving again.

Any recommendations on what I can try next to isolate this problem?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locate the DC Circuit Breaker on POS wire coming from battery that goes to slides

It will be close to battery.
It is an auto reset....trips/resets
Bad connections (2 studs.power in/power out)
Undersized.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't see anything that looks like a breaker/fuse between the battery and the pump.

The positive cable runs to some studs before going to the battery, but this is where other wires are split off from as well (landing gear etc). The wires are just bolted together. The negative wire goes up into the trailer.

Within the trailer there is an automotive 20A fuse (not self resetting) listed as Slide, although this is likely for the outlets/lights but this fuse is fine.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look on the negative side,.....it may run thru safety switches before going to the pump.
But maybe not on a trailer.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clarify, I bought this trailer in 2008 and only this summer the problem started.

It is possible the breaker is undersized, but would expect that we would have had a problem before.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbischops wrote:

To clarify, I bought this trailer in 2008 and only this summer the problem started.

It is possible the breaker is undersized, but would expect that we would have had a problem before.

Thanks for clarifying, thought Year we 2018 at first.

Breakers can get "tired" and trip at lower than their original rating.

Really sounds like a connection/terminal/wiring/switch/breaker problem. Can you feel around to check for a hot connection once the breaker trips?

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't able to locate the breaker or any hot spots.

I am going to bring it in to the shop for this issue, but was able to fix a bunch of other little things since the last trip, but going to give up on this one.

Thanks for everyone that tried to help!

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a very common problem. The Montana Owners Club forum (free to join by the way) has lots of discussions on this topic. A Search on "self resetting breaker" will uncover a great deal of technical information. Basically the original CB gets "tired" over time and displays the symptoms you are seeing. Go to your local NAPA auto parts store and buy a new one for around $5 and change it yourself. It looks like this and is under one of the two red covers on the wall behind the batteries. Find the wire that goes to the pump and trace it back the CB. The CB looks like this very tired one.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Room slide out stops and starts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS