Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Buying first Motorhome, used
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buying first Motorhome, used

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A or Class C? Hummmmmmmm. A lot depends on what YOU plan to do with your MH. Be very clear on that before you buy. Class A's generally have more GVWR/towing, more storage, and carry more fluids (all of them) for a given length. Class A's use more fuel. Used class A's tend to be cheaper (a better value), but will depreciate more over a given time frame.

In short, there is no general answer for everyone, only the answer that suites YOU best!

Chum lee

doxiemom11

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a 10 yr old Monaco (gasser) when we started out full-time. 8 years later and at 18 years old we are not sorry. Have had very few issues with appliance circuit boards etc, and put new tires on it, but it has real wood, is constructed much better than the newer ones , has tons of storage, all the things that are options now were standard on this, so we have the upgrades. We will update this one rather than get new . The carpet and fabrics are finally starting to show wear so we'll be starting that project soon.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbadger28 wrote:

Looking for advice from the veterans. Recently sold my travel trailer in hopes to purchase a motorhome. Mostly looking at class A units, although wife likes class c.

Considering a newer (2012) Thor Windsport that is being sold by a rental company with about 65k miles on it. I didn't start out liking the idea of a formal rental but i guess there is something to be said about it being serviced when it should be etc.

The other option is a much older, but cheaper, Fleetwood Storm (2001) with 50k miles. It is from a local dealer who either got it from auction or trade in and the plus side to this is a warranty being included for a couple of years to cover everything and a savings of about $15k over newer model.

Curious about people's thoughts on buying older vs. newer, and maybe these models specifically if any experience out there.

We bought a 2006 National SeaBreezeLX back in May. We love the MH. It was in exceptional condition. Tires are good, motor burns no oil (Ford V10 w/83k), and everything works great. We did replace the 2 chassis batteries. New this MH cost almost $130k in 2006, and we got it for less than $33k. So your savings of $15k from new is real light as someone else commented. I have been a car wrench (hobby, as I'm an Engineer) since I was about 15 (61 now) so I'm pretty good at fixing and understanding things. If you have that ability there is no reason in the world not to buy used. As most have said, look closely and be picky. Do the research. If it's too good to be true it probably is.

Al

TCollins

NW Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 33' 5th wheel to a 30' class A Holiday Rambler. What I didn't fully appreciate at the time I bought the class A was the amount of basically unusable space you loose from the front seats forward. We have about 25' of useful living space. DW loves it but I feel cramped. Be sure you love the layout. Basically the components are the same or similar on all of this level of motorhome.

My 2004 Holiday Rambler has treated us well and is a good quality unit.

TomC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buying first Motorhome, used
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS