Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Speaker question for audiophiles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Speaker question for audiophiles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not being powered by RCA jacks. The connector wires could be for power and/or control such as sub volume level? It's hard to say without knowing the specific model?

EDIT: I see you've added a photo.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently, it is a self-powered sub according to Collins. The plug is supplying electric source.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your son is correct that it is a powered subwoofer. The black/red/blue wires are pretty standard for the power for an amp. Red - power; Black - ground; and blue - turn-on trigger. More than likely, the two white wires were for a high level (speaker level) input, but since you had RCA cables, you were getting the signal that way instead of via speaker wires. It still would be wired incorrectly if the amp was on when the stereo wasn't though. The amp should turn on/off with the stereo. Bottom line, it shouldn't create any problems sitting in the closet in the house.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

Bottom line, it shouldn't create any problems sitting in the closet in the house.

Thanks guys. I just didn't want to damage anything and don't know anything about electronics.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One last thing. You should go through the setup menu for your radio and set the subwoofer setting to "off". With the subwoofer setting set to "on", the radio will route most of the lower frequencies to the subwoofer. Setting it to "off" will have the radio route those frequencies to the regular speakers instead.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

One last thing. You should go through the setup menu for your radio and set the subwoofer setting to "off". With the subwoofer setting set to "on", the radio will route most of the lower frequencies to the subwoofer. Setting it to "off" will have the radio route those frequencies to the regular speakers instead.

Wilco. Never would have thought of that.

ON EDIT:

I went out to the trailer. It is a Clarion M303. In the menus, the sub-woofer volume is set to 0 (out of a range of -6 to +6) and the REAR/SW setting is set to REAR, not Sub-Woofer. That is what they were set at when I went out there. I hope that is what you were referring to.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 09:54am by Bobbo *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Speaker question for audiophiles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS