cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell signal repeater/booster...

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So if you're RV is in a site where there is minimal cell service..
There are a number of products that repeat/boost the signal at your site.

What are folks using?
I need one and am looking for advice on a purchase.

This is basically an antenna that you point at the cell tower, and a two way amp that boosts the signals (along with the antenna), and maybe another antenna to spray the signals around your local camp site.

groundhogy
19 REPLIES 19

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older wilson 4G booster the higher powered one. It does an admirable job when we are way away from normal cell coverage. coupled with a Yagi directional antenna it generally gives me at least phone coverage.

When I can't get any signal, out comes the garmin inreach and I can get two way messaging anywhere in the world using the iridium sat system.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any reccomendations for individual antennas?
ie...
A nice directional outdoor antenna.
A nice inside antenna.
A big pole that I can make go up and down and mout to the RV or with guy wires.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Wcjeep....

Now that you mention, that makes sense. The further you are from the inside antenna, your signal boost (total system gain) decreases. So if you have a very difficult location, you might need to hold your cell phone right up to the internal antenna. lol. Guess its like running up the street to take a phone call.
groundhogy

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Weboost(Wilson) Sleek. I also have the larger booster. Might be the Pro Mobile 4G X or something like that. I paid $350 for the bigger booster. Current pricing is around $450. For most people the Sleek is enough. Expect upto 18db signal strength increase with the Sleek for a single device. The bigger booster can do upto 35db signal increase with 4 devices at the same time. The bigger booster has an in vehicle antenna. Proximity is the key. The further away your device from the internal antenna the less increase available. In my towrig and offroad Jeep I have the internal antenna next to the phone mounts for maximum signal.

Phone boosters are not magic. Some areas Verizon (cdma) works better. Other areas best for AT&T (gsm).

MrWizard
yes the cradle is the inside antenna
if you only want voice/phone calls
the $99 model will be enough
if you want internet
you should get the $199 model
the cradle models have virtually no oscillation problem
designed for a vehicle car/truck
the separation between them is even greater when used in an RV

i used a cradle model for 6yrs
just upgraded to larger more expensive more permanent model last month
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... so I think back to a general antenna-amp-antenna configuration.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Please be aware that 3G is now on the endangered species list. For example Orlando FL to Tallahassee FL has no 3G.

There is no 3G left in Canada at all. The last Province to support it was Manitoba, but since their change in Government, Manitoba sold their crown corporation (I think to Bell).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting...
So you stick your phone in the cradle and the cradle couples the boosted signal to the cell phone?

MrWizard
from wilson
Direct Connection amplifiers require that your cell phone or data card be directly wired to the amplifier, via a phone specific adapter (sold separately),

try this Instead
for voice and 2G/3G data try this $99
weBoost car cellphone cradle

for 4G data on phone or hotspot this one $199

Both come with 12v to 5v power supplies and cords
amplifiers are actually 5v
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Wilson 811200

This seems to be the only one I see so far that supports both bands and BONUS...
it runs off 12 vdc. The wall wart converts 120 vac to 12 vdc.

So you can wire it to your 12 vdc system if you need cell boost in the woods.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need an 800 and 1900 MHz band two way amp for Verizon, ATT, and Sprint. Sprint is the kicker. They are exclusively 1900. the other two are mostly 800 MHz.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
.... and i bet these are all 120 vac solutions. It would be nice to have a 12 vdc solution.

MrWizard
new phones, new hotspots are 4g for data

carefully read the specs, make sure the ones you look at work for the cell carrier you have
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
There are a bunch of these products on eby.com for under $100