Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: URGENT HELP NEEDED - MAJOR SMELL FROM BATHROOM
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> URGENT HELP NEEDED - MAJOR SMELL FROM BATHROOM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
marcarolle

Fredericton, NB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wopachop:

It's 1:00 a.m. now, and I'm afraid of heights... I will pass as for putting heavy bowls over the vents! LOL

"Be careful it's no joke up there."

I know! I installed the MaxAirs last summer, one being next to the black tank vent. That - added to my fear of heights - made for an unpleasant chore!

Thanks for the reply!

* This post was edited 07/08/18 10:17pm by marcarolle *

Me
DW

Eva 11.5 yo Golden Retriever

2016 F-150 2.7l V6 Ecoboost
2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

2004 StarCraft Antigua 215SS) Hybrid - gone
2002 Jayco Eagle 12 SD pop up - gone
1996 10 ft Coachmen Clipper pop up - gone
1977 10 ft Lionel pop up - gone

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be an air admittance valve under the sink, if you can find it, seal it with a plastic bag.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't run roof vents. Your best approach at this point is to push air into the trailer for positive pressure. Open a window facing the wind and close all other windows.

marcarolle

Fredericton, NB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, smell is gone now.

Thanks all for your precious input.

Now 1:20 a.m... will go to bed and tomorrow will check the valves under bathroom cabinet.

Cheers!

Marc

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/18 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one time we had this problem it was due to the black tank vent being partially blocked. To check that the vent is open you have to get on the roof of the trailer, remove the vent cover and look down the vent tube with a flashing. You should be able to see into the black tank. Another issue could be the vent cover has shifted and is blocking the vent. I cut about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the top of the vent to provide more space for fumes from the tank to escape and that solved the problem. If that vent is blocked gas pressure builds up in the black tank and when you flush the toilet the pressure and fumes get released into the trailer.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tank Dump Valve has to be fully closed, even on a Full Hookup site.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcarolle wrote:

I always use Camco orange RV black tank concentrated treatment after emptying both tanks. We started our stay on empty tanks.

The only time the grey / black tanks should be completely empty is when you winterize, otherwise never. Once you've dumped & flushed either you want to add a minimum 10% capacity of the tank with fresh water and tank chem of your preference which you'll then start your next camping trip with.

Lar's

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a similar situation last winter. Tried everything and finally opened up the basement area and discovered a vent pipe had unglued under the bathroom. Of course, it was so far in the crazy arrangement of wires, pipes, and equipment that it took a bit of meneuvering to fix. Solved the problem.

Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do be aware that a major component of “that smell” is hydrogen sulfide, which is a nerve toxin and decreases your sense of smell. Thus a decrease in the smell may not correspond with any actual decrease in the presence of sewer gas.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your black water tank only has a few exits for gases.

First is through the toilet itself. If your toilet valve is holding water in the bowl (and there is always some residual water after you flush), then the valve is water-tight and thus gas-tight and no vapors are coming up through the toilet.

Second is through the P traps of your bathroom sink. I have heard that in some RVs some sinks dump into the black tank, even though it is technically "grey" waste water. Those P traps are designed like they are to hold water in them, which block the flow of gases through the trap. If you haven't use your sink in a while, the water in the P trap can evaporate out, leaving an open passage from your dump tank out through the sink drain hole. I have heard it said that this water in the P traps can also slosh out of the trap from driving the RV/trailer. The fix is run a little water through your sinks when you get where you are going.

Third is your vent stack. Your tanks are vented through PVC pipe going up through the roof. If the vent pipe becomes disconnected or broken inside the RV, then your tank will be venting into the RV. Likewise if you have a vent or window open near where the vent exits the roof, then it is possible to suck vent gasses back into the RV.

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> URGENT HELP NEEDED - MAJOR SMELL FROM BATHROOM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS