Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How not to tow a boat.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How not to tow a boat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well he made it farther than some new trailers!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The article says: "Police towed the SUV, the trailer and the boat." Wonder how that went.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

I live in FL and sold an old raggedy 30' bow rider boat to a few guys in TN. They drove down, slapped a few tires on her and drove off, back up the interstate all the way home. Texted me when they got there to tell me they made it safely (I didn't know them at all). No lights, no spare tire, no license plate, no bearing check or greasing...just gone. 8 hours later, no one bothered them.
So are you saying because they made it without issue it wasn't stupid in the first place? A successful outcome doesn't make it less stupid. And a perfect example of why there have to be regulations in the first place. People have brains, but often refuse to use them.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

WTP-GC wrote:

I live in FL and sold an old raggedy 30' bow rider boat to a few guys in TN. They drove down, slapped a few tires on her and drove off, back up the interstate all the way home. Texted me when they got there to tell me they made it safely (I didn't know them at all). No lights, no spare tire, no license plate, no bearing check or greasing...just gone. 8 hours later, no one bothered them.
So are you saying because they made it without issue it wasn't stupid in the first place? A successful outcome doesn't make it less stupid. And a perfect example of why there have to be regulations in the first place. People have brains, but often refuse to use them.

No lights is not good but no spare, no plate, no grease who cares.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

WTP-GC wrote:

No lights, probably no brakes since it sounds like they had no trailer pig tail hooked up. No sense.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

The article says: "Police towed the SUV, the trailer and the boat." Wonder how that went.

In the one photo, you can see his trailer and boat loaded onto another trailer. The question is what did they do for cribbing?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

According the officer's Tweet:

"It was professionally towed by a local company. The load was too unsafe to dismantle roadside. It was pulled onto a lowbed tractor trailer then chained/strapped down as a single piece. Once it was secured and met all Motor Vehicle Act standards it was towed away."

https://twitter.com/DrewBedson/status/1016232861345542149

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I missed the garden hose in the earlier pick of the car with a tree on it. That was awesome.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

WTP-GC wrote:

No lights, probably no brakes since it sounds like they had no trailer pig tail hooked up. No sense.

Let me check...
Oh yeah, just what I thought...I never did say it was acceptable or made sense or wasn't a dumb idea. All I did was convey a story related to a personal experience that fit the narrative of the thread. They knew full well what they were coming to get and the condition it was in. Don't make suggestions or accusations that aren't there in first place.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

WTP-GC wrote:

Let me check...
Oh yeah, just what I thought...I never did say it was acceptable or made sense or wasn't a dumb idea. All I did was convey a story related to a personal experience that fit the narrative of the thread. They knew full well what they were coming to get and the condition it was in. Don't make suggestions or accusations that aren't there in first place.
Sorry, but the statement "8 hours later, no one bothered them", sounded like a tacit agreement with the way they went about it. And the post overall appears to say that you can do such things and successfully get away with it, ergo, not necessarily a bad idea.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How not to tow a boat.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS