cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching surge guard brands

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
I had my previous TRC Surge Guard for several years when it finally went. Since it was user friendly and seemed to be very reliable, I purchased another new one (50 amp version) however this time it only lasted about a year and a half, about 5 trips. The 1 year only warranty is kinda surprising to me but that's all that it was warrantied for and they don't refurb them so its time to change directions. I think surge guards are very important and a small price to pay for protection but I would think that there should be somewhat of a longer warranty just as long no electrical hit was suffered. Anyway, went with the new Progressive surge protector so we'll see how this goes.
Report to follow.
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39
17 REPLIES 17

Dave5w
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable unit in 2015 after my Surge Guard died. The unit right out of the box didn't work right. The company sent me a new one and I returned the old unit. By the end of the summer, that unit wasn't working right. That unit failed during the 2016 summer trip. The same thing was true with 2017 and now this year. Thus, I have been through 4 units in 4 summers and am about to start on my 5th. If this keeps up, I may have to go back to a Surge Guard.

Before everyone starts jumping on me, the electric in my rig is fine. I had my RV repair person check that out. The places we have stayed at this summer have all had good, modern electric posts. I do think that having a unit is good insurance, would just like to have one that I can depend upon.
Sunnybrook 2006 34BWKS 36' triple slide pulled by 2002 Silverado 2500HD 8L engine and 4.1 rear.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, just a typo. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

TRC is now a SOUTHWIRE company. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
My SG was working fine when we left our home. Plugged in at the CG and it was clicking loudly but with no fault code. Unplugged and then used my brothers SG, same model, and that worked fine. I checked it at several different pedestals and I received the same results. I then utilized a back up SG and everything worked normally.
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: Its Southwire

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:

TRC EMS which is also an American company (Southwind)?

Don't know about Southwind, but "American company" often has less to do with the US than "made in the US" item. They don't have to use American assembling or parts. Basically, "American company" is Mr. PC Principal's lingo for a company established and owned by a US person or entity and keeping their headquarters there. Sometimes prior to manufacturing they have R&D done in the US - or, again, by some "American" R&D company.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Having OEM strongly recommend having a pro supervise the job is something I agree with (Massachusetts) "Vagah".

Here is a general question and no it isn't sarcasm...

Is there a rational source for giant pins for connection to the tin plated square aluminum blocks found on many of today's low voltage power electrical components and circuit boards?

Squashing fine wire strands, sucks, period. Let's say a pin for number four AWG cable can be found that will fit an aluminum block....the integrity of such a connection will be infinitely greater than if the screw was put to the fine-stranded wire.

Screw clamped wire MUST BE THNN type with thick strands for this type of clamp to work! Cable that is appropriate inside conduit with sweep bends and pull ell fittings. Any professional who advocates using fine strand wire with a block and screw termination needs to be hung by his reproducers.

I have soldered ends of fine strand wire then laboriously hand-filed a flat spot where the screw fits down onto the wire, with a spiral etched set screw such a termination can and will endure years of service in an environment with vibration. Tin to lead is even nicer to the tin than tin to copper.

But jeezo, who has fifteen or minutes to spare crafting a single leaded and flat-spotted end?

Tighten the scrontch out of a correct cable termination that has electrolytic silicone grease applied to it and it will not overheat and deteriorate -- ever. It is a one shot deal. Before finger-wagging starts clue yourself into jut how many "failure of neutral in a 50 amp service" has occurred. This isn't a bit funny.

But I would like to source reasonably easy to get PINS for this type of termination. Up to one gauge pin size.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
PI warranty requires professional installation for hardwired versions if that applies.

Not true ... the current Progressive Industries warranty says ...

"The following are excluded and not covered by the Lifetime Warranty and/or void the Lifetime Warranty:

Improper installation of a hard wired unit. We strongly recommend that a competent electrical professional perform the installation of hard wired units.
"

The complete warranty statement can be found here.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Electrical contractors are sometimes picky but a customer needs to challenge the statement "Professional Installation". This is 100% legaleeze.

"Please define in legal terms your definition in legal detail of exactly what constitutes "professional" installation. Please list any and all universally recognized certificates of accepted compliance, definition of terms and conditions, with annotations and footnotes of reference to amplify concisely the comprehensibility of your warranty"

Thank you.

Fight hazy legal definitions with concise interrogation

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
PI warranty strongly recommends professional installation for hardwired versions if that applies. Any improper install can apparently void the warranty.

I assume this includes burnt terminals from a wire coming lose.

See warranty text below posted by Soundguy.
And thanks for the correction.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Progressive Industries manufactures in USA for one.

What exactly does this mean and why should that convince me to buy a Progressive EMS instead of a TRC EMS which is also an American company (Southwire)? :h

EDITED to correct company name. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Any MADE IN AMERICA proviso needs to say

100% Made in America with American components using American Workers.

All a component needs is to be FINAL ASSEMBLED in America in order to qualify for the MADE IN AMERICA LABEL.

• Slage Lock. Made in a NAFTA trade zone (Tecate Mexico) using CHINESE components plasters the made in USA moniker across it's ads
  • USA cars made with Canadian sheet metal, Mexican cast and machined iron parts, Oriental manufactured electronics, yet it is proudly advertised as Made In USA
  • Megawatt power supplies. Everything is Chinese except for the main circuit board which is machined and traced in Texas.

Beware of Washington DC proclamations. When failed lawyers open their mouth...

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries manufactures in USA for one.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I would go with the Progressive Industries HW-50/30c (the number depends on your RV).. Ease of use.. identical.. Warranty. Much better.
Well, since the TRC Surge Guard has a limited lifetime warranty, it's a wash.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would go with the Progressive Industries HW-50/30c (the number depends on your RV).. Ease of use.. identical.. Warranty. Much better.

The OP already has. That said, WHY specifically are the Progressive EMS units "much better"? Not arguing, as I have a Progressive EMS-HW30C, just asking about your reasoning. ๐Ÿ˜‰