cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cape Cod campgrounds

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have narrowed down to a few campgrounds we would like to stay at this fall. We're planning a last week of Sept-1st week of Oct trip. Maybe some of you locals can give me some perspective on where to stay. We've never been there before so don't have a concept of drive times, reservation needs, etc. We are looking for a full hookup site if possible.
I'm thinking Sweetwater Forest, Shady Knoll are probably better located for us, but Atlantic Oaks has very good reviews, too.
Which would you pick and why?
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?
23 REPLIES 23

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Keep in mind that there always seem to be heavy traffic on the weekends. We're not locals so I can't say any back road tricks.

Normy

That's because there aren't any. Waze and Google maps have sent the tourists to the local roads that we used to use to get around the summer traffic.

Thursdays are very heavy as well.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note - don't count on the Woods Hole Ferry. They've canceled hundreds of trips this year due to mechanical issues. You may get to the Vineyard and not be able to get back. Like everything else in this state, the lack of investment in infrastructure is catching up with us. Meanwhile, we're opening pot shops.

The Island Queen out of Falmouth harbor is a better bet.
Jerry & Jeanne

Not applicable
We only camped at a few places but keep going back to Bay View near the Bourne Bridge. It's not deep into the Cape, but a nice place.

Keep in mind that there always seem to be heavy traffic on the weekends. We're not locals so I can't say any back road tricks.

Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We've only stayed at Atlantic Oaks. The sites were a little smaller, but the place was incredibly clean and, as most mention, backs onto the bike path. Beautiful sunsets on a nearby beach, and fairly convenient to most of Cape Cod.

We went after Labor Day and it was practically empty. Best time to go! Enjoy.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Cape Cod Camping Resort a couple of times and like it. We also stayed once at Peters Pond, Never Again. They sell out sites and have the transient sites scattered about. The guy at the end of the road, couldn't stand us "rvers". He thought he owned the place blocked the road all the time. A real problem.

We looked at Atlantic oaks and would stay there. Bring your bikes as they have a rail trail you can bike to different villages. We also did the whale watch out of P Town which as exciting and went wondering through Falmouth & Woods Hole on the other. For a day trip we went to Martha's Vineyard from Woods Hole ferry also a lot of fun. We went back 3x as you just cant do it all in a week much less a weekend.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
One note: Bring plenty of water hose to Scusset.

I once had a site (#36) that was 94 feet from the assigned water spigot. On the Reserve America site, the site-specific info on the scheduling page will show how far the site is from its water source.
Joanne

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
If I remember correctly, Scussett was redone not long ago so it may well have changed since I stayed there.

We did Scusset in May this year. The re-do was just the electrical system which was causing a lot of damage. I guess the state figured it would be cheaper to rebuild the electric than settle damage claims. In general, the infrastructure in Mass is terrible, and the Cape sometimes feels like a third world country.

One note: Bring plenty of water hose to Scusset.
Jerry & Jeanne

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Shady Knoll, it's okay, we liked it better then Atlantic Oaks which we only drove through. Think I'd call all of them and see if you can even get reservations. It can be slim pickins the holiday weekend which may narrow your choices. I also like Scussett but it is all the way at one end of the cape, we usually prefer a more central location and use Nickerson as we don't care about hookups. If I remember correctly, Scussett was redone not long ago so it may well have changed since I stayed there.

The weekend AFTER the holiday is the Wellfleet Oyster Fest which is a good time albeit crowded.

As was mentioned, a lot closes after Columbus day.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
and lobster is definitely on the menu!

One word ... Arnold's

Menu

You should not have sent the menu this early. I'm trying to figure out how I can leave tomorrow instead of late Sept. ๐Ÿ˜‰
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
and lobster is definitely on the menu!

One word ... Arnold's

Menu
Jerry & Jeanne

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
We just made reservations for Atlantic Oaks. As was said, we probably would have been fine with any, but full hookups, laundry, close to bike path won out. Thanks to all who responded...and lobster is definitely on the menu!
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
You guys aren't making this any easier :). We do bike, but also plan to take the ferry to both islands different days

If you're doing the islands, then you want Cape Cod Camp and Resort

Ten minutes to the Island Queen to Oak Bluffs and a half hour (more or less, probably more) to the fast ferry to Nantucket.

Scusset is right on the Canal and the bike path goes for 10 miles alongside the canal. But because it's on the "mainland" side, things on the Cape (and therefore ferries to the islands) are harder to get to.

I'm basing this on summer traffic, which you may or may not encounter. When we first moved here, the place was abandoned after Labor Day. Lately it's been summer type traffic until Columbus Day. Most things are staying open until the end of October.
Jerry & Jeanne

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ct1964ups wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Atlantic Oaks if you bike. Sweetwater is my favorite. Water/Electic no sewer ok? Scusset Beach SP.

Peters Pond is mostly seasonals and they have a big power issue there.

If all of these ,I've always liked Scusset Beach the best

Then Atlantic Oaks
C

X2
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Shady knoll is also owned by Atlantic oaks, we never stayed there but took a drive through once, sites looked extremely small in our opinion.

Its about 10 or 15 drive from Sweetwater to Atlantic oaks.

Don't get us wrong we really enjoyed Sweetwater but you mentioned having no laundry there... that is the other reason why we prefer Atlantic oaks.

Either way you can't go wrong!

Don't forget to get a lobster roll!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)