Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question-Can I use my roof mounted a/c in my stationary rv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question-Can I use my roof mounted a/c in my stationary rv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
brainclutter1

North Hampton Beach, New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you,
To everyone who responded.
I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Please, let me offer a few more details to better explain what I'm working with...
My '87 Franklin is 35 ft and sometime in the past 10 years, most of the residents in the park added low pitched roofs to help keep the heavy New England snows from piling up during the off season, when our park is locked up (Sept to May) with no access.
They all are wood framed with corrugated metal roofs.
Some of the units, have attic fans
at one end, behind exhaust louvers, that are either thermostaticly controlled or have just an on/off switch located in the room just below where the fan is.
The opposite end (closest to where the a/c is located.) has no access, yet.
If I go through with my plans, I will have to cut through the perforated vinyl siding, reframe the wood structure at the eave, install intake lovers and try to figure out a system to allow for drainage of the condensation, that I almost failed to consider (Thanks kerrlakeroo & John Wayne..).
Also the center height of the roof is approximately 48 inches, so there isn't much room for maneuvering up there.
I know State Laws vary State to State, but I was wondering if anybody has heard mention that what I want to do violates any type of building codes...?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your power supply and how big is the ventilation fan?

If it's an older electrical system with a 30amp outlet and it's a big exhaust fan, you might be popping the breaker all the time.

A big fan that will really keep the attic temps down might pull 5-6amps (plus whatever else you have running in the trailer. A smaller fan will pull less but won't keep it as cool. On startup, the air/con will likely be within a few amps of popping the breaker to start with, so it's a question of if you have enough amps to get everything going.

Once going, it will likely work but it's a question of startup loads. This is a common discussion in relation to small generators running air/con but you might run into it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

brainclutter1

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you valhalla360,
I have limited access to the fan, so I can not answer as to the amperage, yet.
The trailer has been stationary since 1987 (it still has its 12 volt system for some of the interior lights and the 110/120 volt system is hard wired to a box on a pole out back of the trailer.
I have a small service panel (breakers) in the bedroom.
I do know that fan was never hooked up to any electrical service.
For some reason, the installation process, just stopped and the wiring from the attic fan, was left coiled up, tucked under the back end of my unit.
If I go ahead with this project, I would have a licensed Electrician put an appropriate breaker into my service panel, as well as making sure the a./c has a sufficient breaker as well..!

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't it be easier to install a window unit.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 129,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

brainclutter1

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you John Wayne,
No, not really.
I would have to hire someone to cut a hole into the side of the trailer, then reinforce/frame around the hole to support the weight, then seal it all up to make it all weatherproof.
Besides, I already have the rooftop unit already in place and from the limited tests I have done, it seems to works well...!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I would be concerned about is this.
THe A/C also removes water from the RV this "Condensate" as it is called drips onto the roof. IF the Roof over the RV has clearance at the sides of the RV so the water can continue to the ground.. Just run the exhaust fan to keep a good supply of fresh air in the "Attic".

If the Attic roof is Sealed to the RV roof. YOu need to provide a way for the water to go to ground.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Question-Can I use my roof mounted a/c in my stationary rv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS