Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are you campers or just want to start doing it. If you think you want to start doing it rent a few TT of diferent sizes and see how they pulll with your truck. And what you like or dislike about each floor plan if your just getting into RVing buy used.
Rent a MH for a trip and see if you would like that better after setting a TT at camp a few times.

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 129,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things:
1) Will you really use the generator so much that you need a built-in.
2) They sell auto-levelers for trailers.

I was amused by trackrigs post. Hooking up a toad is one two minute step, while he makes hooking up a trailer sound like a day long project. Hooking a toad and hooking a trailer have many of the same steps.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind with the explaination above...if you want auto everything, you can get it for a trailer and negate 95% of the differences setting up and tearing down a campsite vs a MH. (it just costs money...but that applies MH or trailer.)

But back to the main point:
- Don't go by rule of thumb. It's easy to look up the tow ratings on your truck. DO NOT GO STRICTLY BY THE TOW RATING NUMBER. In addition to the tow rating, you need to consider the hitch weight and GVWR. Figure around 12-15% of the trailer as the hitch weight (you don't want less than 10% or it won't pull well).
- I would compare to trailers in the 23-25' range as comparable to a 30' motorhome as the trailer won't lose the cockpit space. But really go looking and see what you find. The layouts are different, so your personal preference may result in a different size range.

Good chance you can pull a comparable trailer with your current truck. No way should you be spending anything close to $60k on a 25' trailer. For $60k, you could probably trade in your truck for something beefier and get a 30' trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea we camp but stay in tent or cabins in state parks,
That’s why we thought a mh under 30 we wouldn’t need a road.
Some people where we are camping right now have a brand ne 22 ft tt
He pulls it with a GMC Canyon,,, it has a slide and queen walk around bed,,, just seems smaller inside than a 22 ft mh
I thought I saw class a Thor’s brand new for 79
I know everyone says they are junk though

jwandvassie

Ormond Beach Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MURPHY55347 wrote:

If I already had a truck that would pull the trailer I "wanted" I would just get a trailer.

+1

jwandvassie

Ormond Beach Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a real pain to not have a toad with a MH. Each time you leave a campsite, you must unhook utilities and secure all inside loose objects. With a TT, you only do that when when you leave at the end of your stay. I put a topper on my PU so have lots of storage.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough call. Every rv has its pluses and minuses based on type of use, locations and owners preferences.
One plus for a TT is $$. You could be in a very nice almost new med size TT that your truck would have no issue with for like $20k. And if you don’t like that type of rv, sell it next spring for most of all of what you paid depending on how good a deal you get.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jarata1 wrote:

luberhill wrote:

Ok we have been looking for a good under 30 ft motorhome.. just wife me and dog..didn’t want a toad so figured stay under 30
Haven’t been able to find a A or a C used that didn’t have issues... thinking of going new if we can around 60k or less
Now we are seeing lots of TT’s and thinking I alread have a F150 4x4 5 liter V8 truck...
What are the pros and cons of one over the other ???
Do TT’s have onboard generators ??? How would my truck pull a decent sized one ???

Won't find a new class a for 60,000 not even close

Thor, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Forest River, Coachmen, Winnebago etc all make ~25' gas class A's for $65-70k. For $3-5k more you can get one ~30'. To my mind that's pretty close (20% isn't going to stop me from making a purchase if it's what I really want).

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a trailer one time and now on our second motorhome. On the road I prefer the motorhome and pulling a car. If we parked at one place and never moved I would prefer a 5th-Wheell or trailer.

The motorhome is nice because you can run your generator and air conditioner while traveling. We run ours about 75% of the time on the road because of our dog. I like it because we can leave our dog in the motorhome with the air on and do a little shopping, plus eat at a nice restaurant.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With your current truck there are some very nice TTs you can tow under 25', if you want to go longer you can look at some ultra-light models although their overall durability and insulative factors may not be comparable. Look at your door jamb label to see your available payload, everything loaded into the truck including passengers and hitch subtracts from payload.

A properly loaded TT will place about 15 percent of its total weight on the hitch ball, look at the GVWR of the TT to estimate the tongue weight that your truck has to carry, this is where half ton trucks have the most issues since payload capacity is sorely lacking under most circumstances. If the numbers look good, get a WD/SC hitch and get out and have some fun.

As for onboard generators, standard TTs rarely have them but they are commonly found on toyhauler TTs. Unfortunately, these type of TTs are not best suited for towing by half ton trucks as they are much heavier with large loading capacities for motorized toys. Many have no toys and just use the garage as an extra room for whatever they want, need at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Since the vast majority of TTs and 5ers don't have onboard generators many will purchase a quality inverter generator that are quiet and fuel efficient. Some stow them in their truck and others in their TT's storage bay, if you need to power your RV AC unit about 3K watts is minimum for reliable service at most elevations. We use a Champion 3100 remote start genny that easily runs our AC.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS