Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic Fox offers generator prep and/or factory installed generator on their single door travel trailers.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luberhill wrote:

What are the pros and cons of one over the other ???

For the same age, size, features, and quality a travel trailer plus tow vehicle will typically save about 20% to 30% in total cost compared to a motorhome (plus a toad; I would have to have an extra vehicle). Motorhomes are more fun and convenient to a lot of people. If money was no object I would get a big Class A and pull a Jeep Wrangler. But for me money is still an object.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 10:56am by DallasSteve *

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My preference would be travel trailer with one of the major reasons being freedom of movement after you’re at a campsite. As for what you can tow I’d start with knowing the maximum we’re got numbers for your truck (max tow and max payload are usually the limiting factors) and let them guide you to the trailer that meets most of your needs. You’ll get differences of opinion about how close to the maximum you should get for towing comfort but as long as you’re not over any of the maximum numbers that’s also a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Good luck with the hunt.

SusanDallas

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with a travel trailer. The number one reason is because it doesn't have an engine. You can keep a travel trailer forever with a little general maintenance. An engine on a motorhome will eventually wear out as well as the transmission and other parts. It is cheaper to replace a tow vehicle than an RV and is something you would probably do over the years anyway.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SusanDallas wrote:

I would go with a travel trailer. The number one reason is because it doesn't have an engine. You can keep a travel trailer forever with a little general maintenance. An engine on a motorhome will eventually wear out as well as the transmission and other parts. It is cheaper to replace a tow vehicle than an RV and is something you would probably do over the years anyway.

Good point. And related to that, it is possible to buy a new tow vehicle with a used travel trailer so you have a reliable drive train and still save a lot of money on the living quarters. With a motorhome it is either all new (more expensive) or all used (more breakdowns).

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on how tied to $60k you are. There are some non Thor units that can be had for a price in the high 60's new.
https://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-coachmen-rv-pursuit-27-kb-828031-9

I've also seen some Jayco's in your range.
Or the BT Cruisers
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Gulfstream-5245B-B-TOURING-CRUISER-5002419335

Those 2 linstings were for new and in the upper 60's to 70.
Used ones are out there, but you may have to travel to get to them.

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One nice thing about a mh is drIving down the road you can be making dinner, wife could use the bathroom,, if it’s pouring rain you don’t have to go outside...pluses and minuses I guess

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So,,, whats a well made brand that my truck would pull? I’m thinking around 24 or 26 ft ??

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many recommend Lance but they cost more.
But until you post more info about your truck, like payload capacity, it's hard to recommend something.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not in town now but I will... I know its a 2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4 Liarat with a factory tow package...
Locking rear diff auto 4x4 or manual.. not sure on anything else except it’s the 5.0 liter Coyote engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS