Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The nice thing about having a vehicle you can tow with is as some one suggested you can go rent a couple different campers and try them out. This will help you decide what you may want and more important tell you how it is towing with your truck. If you don't have any experience with towing a trailer you may find your okay with it or it's not for you.

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve towed boats and trailers before,, I’m sure I’d be fine...

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another factor to consider are vehicle license fees and property taxes.

Here in Utah, I'd have to pay property taxes on a MH, but the TT only requires the VLF.

The trailer in my signature has some very nice features, like full access to kitchen and bath with the slide in, and lots of kitchen counter space. I also like the rear bath with a window and there's tons of storage. The model number does lie about the size, it really is a 26' box. We average 50 nights a year in ours.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luberhill wrote:

I’ve towed boats and trailers before,, I’m sure I’d be fine...

It is not just about your ability towing. A boat and a camper are very different. Truck tow ratings are just a guide. Towing say 6k lbs on a open trailer is not the same as a 6k lbs tall enclosed box like a camper. That is one reason a lot a campers go unused. Dealers tell people your truck will tow this fine and it does going home but when they get loaded up to take a trip they find their truck cant handle it as easy as they thought.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eons ago (on this forum) someone posted these words of wisdom:

If you are sightseers and camp in a different spot each night, a motorhome is the easiest. If you are a "destination" camper - spending a few days or more in one location, then a trailer is the best setup.

For 10 years, we were sightseers and our 28' Class C was perfect. We could pull into a site in a downpour; and we never had to go outside. Just push the button, fire up the genny, and wait out the rain. Then for several years we tried snowbirding with a 28' 5er - you get SOOOO much more (usable) space in a trailer. Eventually, we tired of dragging around a trailer, so we bought a condo in FL, and now we're back to a small B-conversion for sightseeing and driving back and forth to the condo.

luberhill

syracuse

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea I’m sure we will be sightseers for a few years, that and fall camping after the parks are closed, October,,the motorhome will probably be a better fit for us,,, if we can find one that isn’t best

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Now we are thinking TT over MH.. need opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS